Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Operation Hush: Motor Machine Gun Batteries

owen4256

There is a detailed Order of Battle for the three columns making up the proposed landing force of Operation Hush. Each pontoon carried a Motor Machine Gun Battery  but the identity of the three Batteries is not specified. I know from XVII Corps Cyclist Battalion War Diary that  a major joint exercise was held on the 22nd with XIII Corps Cyclist Battalion, XVII Corps Cyclist Battalion and the 11th, 12th and 14th Motor Machine Gun Batteries which indicates that these were the three Batteries involved. There is a further reference to XVII Corps Cyclist conducting a brigade exercise with 11 MMGB which might suggest it was with the main body of XVII CCB in the Centre Column. Does anyone have any sources that link a particular MMGB with any of the three landing forces?

Best

Clive

Operation Hush Orbat.jpg

Hi Clive,

Nothing obvious in the MMG Battery war diaries listed below. Can you list the diaries you've checked? Presumably there'll be references in the Corps and Fourth Army diaries for the months concerned. The Brigade diaries for 1st Division should also list what units they had attached. Otherwise, there may be more specific documents at Kew that have not been released online. 

Army Troops. 11 Motor Machine Gun Battery | The National Archives

Army Troops. 12th Motor Machine Gun Battery | The National Archives

Army Troops. 14 Motor Machine Gun Battery | The National Archives

Colin

11th MMG Battery war diary from mid July, August, September and into October 1917 states Special training with 1st Division. The fact no detail or even location is noted implies they were up to something "hush hush" Then on 18/10/1917 they move to XV Corps and attached 42nd Div. The war diary immediately reverts to giving location and detail. They had  been in France mid July at the start of this "special training" then after were certainly in Belgium. 

12th MMG follows the same dates  and then in October also moved XV Corps and attached 42nd Div. In their case they are showing location as Le Clipon camp, so a dead cert for Operation Hush.

14th MMG diary I have ends in July 1917. However they also moved from France up to Le Clipon camp, arriving 19th July then on "training under 1st Div. orders. After October 1917 it's highly likely they were in transit to the south of France and then shipped to India as they were operational there by January 1918.

Regarding the quantities of motorcycles involved those figures tally with being complete batteries - 18 sidecars (6 per section) and CO's sidecar, then solo bikes for section officers, dispatching ect. The Box cars mentioned are possibly MMG Battery support vehicles (but not their full compliment).

Edited by david murdoch

Thank you Colin and David. I’ve checked the three MMGB War Diaries listed, DHQ 1st Division, 1st , 2nd and 3rd Brigade War Diaries and XIII and XVII Corps Cyclists. The only other clue I have found is in 3rd Brigade HQ on 8th August 1917 which mentions a joint inspection by the Major General of XVII Corps Cyclists and 11 MMGB which also suggests 11 MMGB in the Centre Column.

All in all the War Diaries are remarkably tight lipped…

Best

Clive

Yes the whole  plan was top secret and Le Clipon camp isolated. It's interesting to read the "load out" lists. Basically the existing battalions of each Brigade with their MGC and Trench Mortar Coys  named, then additional support units who were Army or Corps troops.

There is an older thread regarding the tanks planned for use in Operation Hush. 

It's interesting for me that the MMG batteries presumably were intended to bring concentrated and mobile firepower to the operation, where by then none of the batteries were really being utilised in their original intended roll. Presumably these were chosen in preference to armoured cars due to the difficulties getting them ashore and past the sea wall.  Right after Operation Hush was cancelled several MMG batteries were re allocated to India and the armoured car units sent to Mesopotamia. It's possible this was a consequence of Hush being cancelled and it becoming apparent these units could not be used to any great effect on the Western front.

UrHHmeY.jpg

I had a scan of the XV Corps General Staff and Admin war diaries for July and August. Though the corps was holding the line at Nieuport, and included 1st Division, there is no obvious mention of Op HUSH activities though the details of the outcome of the German attack 'Strandfest' in early July is referred to in detail.

I would presume a Corps HQ would be planning the operation to coordinate the activities of 1 Division and supporting units but I don't think it was XV Corps. My presumption would be that 1 Division would plan the operation but a higher headquarters would coordinate the wider activity and liaise with the RN, echelon troops etc. I don't think this would be done by 1 Division alone nor would the LoC behind the fighting Corps be able to manage or organise this. 

That Corps' diaries might better detail the units assigned and how they might be deployed. However, the Divisional diaries would be the best bet as to which column the MMG Batteries would be with. Clearly they are no use having been checked already. 

Colin

• Admin

1st Division was withdrawn from XV Corps and they came directly under 4th Army for the preparation of Hush.

I think the OoB in the 4th Army War Diary for the relevant period has that so described.

Regards

Russ

Well, mystery solved. The unit and Divisional  War Diaries confine themselves to variation on a theme of "Special Training". But  QMG War Diary? Order of Battle , Op Orders, loading diagrams, timetables...

Piece 1236/1-6: Headquarters Branches and Services: Adjutant and QM Gen (1916 Jan-1917 Sep)

In summary:

12 MMGB with the Left Column and thus the unit detailed for the attack on the Aachen Battery

11 MMGB with the Centre Column

14 MMGB with the Right Column

There was certainly no lack of training for the planned assault. My favourite nugget from Harry Goodwin, a Cyclist with XVII Corps Cyclist Battalion: “Under camouflage netting there was a replica of the sea wall which we would encounter on landing. The top of the wall curled over like a wave and we found this one of the hardest bits to overcome, we started climbing the wall in our uniforms at first. This was followed with us carrying just our equipment, then with our bikes, next with our rifles and Lewis guns fixed on the bikes and finally with everything plus full ammunition. When we were proficient enough to reach the top of the wall I was given a job for which I got a good few curses. I had a number of large wooden balls which I had to place along the top of the wall. When the Company was half way up I had to walk along the top of the wall and with my foot, flip these balls down among the climbing men. These balls represented the dead rolling down the wall and it was up to each man to dodge them. Sadly one or two of them had legs broken in this manner”.

Best 

Clive

Operation Hush Column A.jpg

Operation Hush Column B.jpg

Operation Hush Column C.jpg