Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Gloucesters Paschendaele

Terry Carter

hello all,

I am interested in a Pte A Tennent a former Royal Warwickshire soldier (No.3077) who was transferred into the 1/6th Gloucesters (No.267581) and was killed on 9th October, 1917 and is commemorated at Tyne Cot.

Could anyone tell me if the 1/6th Gloucesters were in an attack on that date and their objective and the outcome.

Thanks in anticipation

Terry

Terry

This is from PAL 'Glosters' site http://members.tripod.com/~Glosters/:

1/6th

9th October - the Battle of Poelcapelle. 'A' Company (right) and 'B' Company (left) would be in the first wave, followed by 'C' (right) and 'D' (left) in the second wave. The assault was met by fierce German machine-gun fire. 'A' Company got into the enemy trenches and were joined by 'C' Company. Then they advanced against German positions in the Cemetery. 'B' Company advanced against Vacher Farm. By nightfall the 1/6th had captured 70 prisoners and 12 machine-guns, but at a cost of 242 men killed or wounded.

Dave

9th October, Battle of Poelcapelle, 5th Army, 48th Division, 114 Brigade attacked with 7th Worcesters and 4 & 6th Gloucesters, 8th Worcesters in reserve. Caught by MG fire from the start the troops lost the creeping barrage. Basically caught between Berks House, Oxford House and Adler Farm, the 4th Gloucesters got nowhere. The 6th cleared the cemetery and captured Vacher Farm and then Adler Farm. The germans counter-attacked and the 8th Worcesters, going to aid the 6th Gloucesters were caught in the British barrage. Oxford House was not captured.

Aye

Malcolm

Terry

Just for others interested in the site, the link had a : at the end and didn't work - here (hopefully) it is : -

link to Glorious Glosters site

Terry

Just for others interested in the site, the link had a : at the end and didn't work - here (hopefully) it is : -

link to Glorious Glosters site

Thanks very much for all you prompt replies to my question.

Cheers

Terry

P.S. Has any kind person got a copy of a map of this area that the 1/6th attacked please. I have tried the Trench map CD ROM cannot locate any places mentioned

Regards

terry

P.S. Has any kind person got a copy of a map of this area that the 1/6th attacked please. I have tried the Trench map CD ROM cannot locate any places mentioned

Regards

Terry

Regards

Terry

Terry.

The area's spread over two maps whether you use 1:10,000 scale or 1:20,000. I've added the names of some of the places mentioned in the Gloster's history regarding this attack...

Map 1 (north)...

post-357-1114112912.jpg

...Map 2 (southern)...

Dave. :)

post-357-1114112997.jpg

Thanks Dave

You are a gentleman. No wonder I cannot get any trench maps on ebay you keep on buying them !!!!

Cheers

Terry