Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers, SN #158818 Sapper Charles Ryan 1891-1920

will2003

I have started research to learn more about one of my great cousins Charles Ryan he was a Sapper with Royal engineers. I know where he is buried, the two things I have seen online said he died at home after being overcome by gas in the war. I have added some pictures, if anyone could lead me to more information that would be awesome. 

Thanks - William    

Screenshot 2024-03-07 173134.png

Screenshot 2024-03-07 173922.png

Fold3 has various references for him which include a Medal Index Card showing no other military service number,  other than 158818, and DWM and Victory medal.

He has a pension Card giving address and dependent's name-his mother(?) Also cause of death-you would need his death certificate to confirm that!

image.jpeg.e995d7d2a379a566dd944d126309650b.jpeg

Another card says discharged on 21/10/19 and adds #222 to his address.

George

Edited by George Rayner

Courtesy of a family tree on Ancestry

Military

1920 • Cocking churchyard War memorial

Sapper 158818, Royal Engineers. Died of wounds (Gas poisoning) after the war 18 March 1920. Aged 29. Son of Charles and Eleanor Kate Ryan of Manor Cottage, Cocking. Buried in Cocking Churchyard. The Memorial Cross is on a little green in the lane below the

Death

18 Mar 1920 • Midhurst, Sussex, England

Age at Death: 29 Death certificate says he died in Cocking, likely at home. His occupation was a Sapper in the Royal Engineers and a platelayer before that

Burial

1920 • St Catherine of Siena Churchyard, Cocking, West Sussex, England

Cause of Death

from Death Certificate - Trench fever and Morbus Cordis Heart disease. A catch-all phrase for death by natural causes when the exact cause was not evident

George

His elder brother William Jesse/Jesse William served in Royal Navy #Z1682 in WW1, then with a later service number #4592.

George

Edited by George Rayner