Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing a TF and RFA Soldier Finding Service Number Block Allocation

Stephen Dalton

Hi, good evening all.

I am hoping someone can help me with a search. I am looking to track down the unit a soldier served in during WW1.

I have traced his medal record card. His name is George Pearson Reeve and I can see that he was part of the Royal Field Artillery but have no other details about Division. He appears to have originally been TF as he has a 3-digit number 427. He was then allocated a 6-digit number 795239. I recall that it is sometimes possible to identify specific units as the service numbers were issues in blocks. Can anyone advise where i can look for this please.   

MRCReeve.png

• Admin

Joseph Butler had the near numbers of 407/795236 enlisted into the 3rd West Riding Brigade RFA TF, which I understand became the 49th DAC RFA.

Regards

Russ

Posted (edited)

That was quick! I know he hails from Ecclesall in Sheffield so that sounds about right.

thanks RussT

Edited by Stephen Dalton

His number falls in the block allocated to the West Riding Divisional Ammunition Columns. The 1st Line of which was formed from November 24, 1914 from men transferred from all four of the West Riding Brigades. It was the 3rd West Riding Brigade RFA that was based in Sheffield and where the DAC seems to have congregated. As 49th DAC it went to France in April 1915 (Medal Cards would give 16th or 17th). There were also 64 men attached to the Ammunition Park who would have been renumbered like this.

George Reeve does not seem to have a 1914-15 Star despite him being amongst some of the early transfers completed by April 1915. He could have joined the 49th Division when the DAC was expanded to accommodate the extra batteries sent out in April 1916.  

Thanks David I did notice that, my own Grandfather was a driver with the 29th DAC and he has the 14/15 Star arriving in November of 1915. I reckon this chap is as you say a later arrival.