Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Batt. Grenadier Guards War Diary

SirJames

Good Day Forum!

I have most of the War Diaries for the 2nd Grenadier Guards, however I am missing a few gaps that I was hoping someone might be able to help me find.

I am trying to find the following dates:

May 4, 1915 - May 24, 1915

July 16, 1917 - August 28, 1917

September 30, 1917 - February 1, 1918

It would be great if someone hade them in .pdf form.

I appreciate any help!

Regards,

Jim Higginbottom

Jim

Online access to the diaries for the Grenadier Guards via the National Archives website is fairly complete now, and all the dates you give are available to download. They can be found at:

Grenadier Guards battalion war diaries

You will have to scroll through to find the ones you need.

Regards

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks a lot! I appreciate that. Unfortunately, that is where I ordered the War Diary that I currently have, however it was missing all of those dates.

It is a very useful site though!

Jim

• 6 months later...

Jim,

Sorry to trouble you but do you have copies of the WD for period 4/8/14 through to 11 September, 1914. If you do could I trouble you for the details please?

Best,

Paul Byrne

• 1 month later...

Hi - I would be interested in any mention of the following :-

2nd Lt Pickersgill-Cunliffe KIA 14/9/1914

Maj Colby KIA 24/11/1914

Maj Gordon-Lennox KIA 10/11/1914

Lt Stocks KIA 10/11/1914

Lt Parnell KIA 10/11/1914

Cap Symes-Thompson KIA 17/11/1914

Lt Lee-Steere KIA 17/11/1914

2nd Lt Nevill KIA 24/12/1914

If possible could you send a copy of the diary covering these dates?

Many Thanks

Richard

Have you tried "Fifteen Rounds a minute" by J M Craster- it covers the period upto the end of 1914 and (from memory) mentions Pickersgill-Cinliffe and Gordon-Lennox for sure, others possibly.

I'll look later- I also have the War diary which covers this period.

Regards

Ali

Hi,

Have looked in "Fifteen rounds a minute" and got the following:

Pickersgill-Cunliffe- killed near SOUPIR, the battalion is advancing towards COUR de SOUPIR, past the farm towards Pt. 197 with PC's platoon in the vanguard, when a german attack from the north forces the troops back. Cunliffe is left behind wounded, elements of the battalion and brigade counter-attack driving most of the germans back, as they retire a german officer is seen to shot Cunliffe as he lays wounded.

The Bond of Sacrifice adds- "only son of Harry Pickersgill-Cunliffe of Haughton Manor, St-Neots and 27 Beaufort Gardens, London. 2nd Lt Pickergill-Cunliffe, who was only 19 years of age, was gazetted to the GG on the 17th September 1913"

Gordon-Lennox- was killed by shell fire during the First battle of Ypres in the area of KLEIN ZILLEBEKE.

From The Bond of Sacrifice- " was the third son of the seventh duke of Richmond and Gordon K.G. Born in London on the 1st May 1878, he was educated at Eton college and Sandhurst, from which he joined the GG in Feb 1898, becoming Lt. in October 1899. He took part in the South African War, being present at the operations in the Orange Free state, including the actions at Poplar Grove and Drierfontein, for which he recieved the Queens medal with two clasps. From 1904-06 he was seconded for service with the Chinese Regiment at Wei-hai-Wei. He was promoted Captain in 1909 and was ADC from November 1911, to the GOC Northern Command,

For his services in the war he was mentioned in the supplement to Sir John Frenchs despatch of 14th january 1915 published by the War Office in April 1915.

In 1907 GL married Evelyn, second daughter of the first Lord Loch and left two sons, George Charles, born May 1908 and Alexander Henry Charles born April 1911.

He was a member of the Guards and Turf Clubs and was a through all-round sportsman, his principal recreations being shooting, fishing , cricket and polo. By his death the army has lost a keen and brillant officer and the world of sport an exponant of whom there where very few equals"

Stocks- "Fifteen rounds per minute" has him being killed in the same circumstances as Gordon-Lennox.

From The Bond of Sacrifice- "was the elder son of Michael Stocks of Wood Hall, Downham Market, Norfolk and Upper Shibden Hall, Yorkshire. He was the grandson, on his mothers side of the late Colonel Sir Richard Ellison of Boultham and his paternal grandfather- Major Stocks- took part in the charge at Balacava, and, as a thank-offering for his safe return, the family built the Church of St Marys, Halifax.

Lt Stocks was born on the 24th November 1892, educated at eton and Sandhurst, and entered the Guards in February 1912, becoming Lt in October 1913. His recreations were polo, hunting and shooting.

He was killed in the trenches near Ypres, on the 10th November 1914 and is buried at Zillebeke"

Parnell- no mention in "fifteen" or "The Grenadier Guards in the Great War" by Ponsonby, nor The Bond of Sacrifice.

More to follow- but probably not till tomorrow.

Regards

Ali

Great stuff Ali - I've checked entries in De Ruvigny and they appear to be similar to Bond of Sacrifice. Each also has little snippetts that the other doesn't. I'll have to look into getting them as I am researching a large number of KIA BEF officers of 1914.

Many thanks so far for info

Richard

• 18 years later...

hello all

i am researching where my g-uncles remains were originally found after the july 1st battle for Beaumont-Hamel.

He was serving with the 1st newfoundland regiment .His name was pte. Leo m.Burke #1170 .

I have been led to understand his  remains along with 4 other newfoundlanders were found by  the 2nd grenadier guards unit that were there in August  after the battle

and were buried with crosses erected and the burials registered.

since the burial and the concentration of these battlefield cemeteries or shell holes into larger cemeteries it seems his remains and the others were lost.

He is now comemorated in Ancre cemetery as believed to be buried in this cemetery.

My question is would there be any mention of names in the unit report or just what grid reference the bodies were buried in.

any help in this would be of great value to me.

thank you leo burke

Attachment from 2nd Bn Grenadier Guards War Diary [TNA]. No names but a general location with map ref

11.8.16 War Diary.jpg

Diane's unit war diary extract places them at 57d.Q.16.a, an area highlighted in blue below.

Cheers, Bill

image.png.9ab05b56b77c37c16080f9485daf43ee.png

Many thanks bill I knew I was right. Now to track down who made the burial report.

I have made note that all the Newfoundlanders found have the same notation with their burial records.

It states all were found and buried 22/9/16 by 2nd battalion grenadier guards 1 1/2 miles south of Beaumont Hamel.

but no grid reference to follow.

i wonder if there is a way to find out who found the bodies or who supplied  infomation.

• Admin
10 hours ago, leo burke said:

It states all were found and buried 22/9/16 by 2nd battalion grenadier guards 1 1/2 miles south of Beaumont Hamel.

Leo, you might find some more information in this book?

Volume ii of a set of three, all free, online.

https://archive.org/details/grenadierguards02pons/page/42/mode/2up

A bit of reading but you will get an Idea of where the 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards were and what they were up to,

before, during and after 22.9.'16.

Regards, Bob.

thank you robert i will have a read