Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Grandfather, Albert Paul Mecklenburg's (changed to Mexborough) account of escape from Antwerp

Prue Peters

Albert was interviewed by the local newspaper when he returned in time for his wedding following his escape.  Not sure if these are in right order but hope you find them of interest.  

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 16.38.24.png

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 16.35.57.png

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 16.35.39.png

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 16.35.21.png

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 16.34.44.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this account - very interesting.

This is a later pension index card - the circumstances leading to this are not known to me.

image.png.824566d82dde3b314e6567b57bc9bdbc.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

M

Sub Lieutenant Mecklenburg was awarded the MC for conspicuous gallantry at The Ancre - '... Although twice wounded ...' * - perhaps this eventually resulted in the loss of his arm?

* see LG 26 January 1917, p.1019

details from 'Nelson at War 1914-1918' by Capt. Roy C. Swales RN rtd., published by Pen & Sword, 2004.

Edited by michaeldr

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

perhaps this eventually resulted in the loss of his arm?

I think this is certain. His RND record, however, while frequently noting the seriousness of the GSW to his right arm, does not record an amputation during his subsequent treatment in a Manchester hospital and recovery (22 Nov 1916 to 2 March 1917 . There is a note of a nine-day visit to Roehampton Hospital in August 1917 - perhaps presaging the future loss of his arm but more likely to be fitted for a prosthetic having lost the arm at Manchester.

It is not clear that the 21 July 1919 date given in the pension card is the date of losing the arm - I suspect demob per Navy List. The final note in his record is of a Medical Bard on 14 January 1919 when he was declared "unfit for General Service for six months and fit only for Garrison and Home Service" and returned to duty at the Ministry of Shipping. This was but the latest of a succession of Medical Boards which constrained his employment to Home Service.

Edited by horatio2

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

It is not clear that the 21 July 1919 date given in the pension card is the date of losing the arm - I suspect demob per Navy List.

I too would suspect [likely expect] that to be his demob date.

M

Hi

Really enjoyed reading that account. Thanks for posting.

Taking a stab at Penley, son of Penley of Charlie's Aunts fame, How about Frederick Penley, London 8/3555, occupation actor, Benbow Battalion, interned in Holland. Interestingly it appears his wife either joined him in Holland, or he was married in Holland.

Courtesy of FMP newspapers, Northampton Mercury 26th November 1915:-

image.png.3aa716c0ed4b020a04b7738355212436.png

Kind Regards

Derek