Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help in identifying uniform and person maybe

I have a photo of a soldier who we believe is my husband's grandfather, Frederick Francis Wilson.  The only other thing we have is his application for naturalisation in 1922/23, in which he states he said he was one of the District Guard (A.I.F. Home Forces) attested 26.8.1918 and discharged 14.1.1919. He also said his father was William Wilson (part filipino and of Scottish descent) and mother Elhin Bialen (French).  He married in Qld in 1912 and pretty much travelled up and down the east coast of Qld working. I can't find any birth records for him on Ancestry but I guess he could have changed his name if he arrived in Australia illegally or something like that.

I have looked in the nominal rolls and service records and can't find him with that name in there.  We don't know how he came to Australia from the Philippines, where he supposedly was born around 1864. In 1918 that would make him 54 years of age and the fellow in the photo looks an older person, so maybe that's correct??  I didn't think they would accept someone that old or non-Australian but really don't know anything about the military.  Is his, an Australian uniform and does anyone know how I can find out anything about his service?  Do the stripes on his sleeve mean he was like a Sergeant or something?  Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kay

20240305_124220.jpg

He is dressed in an AIF uniform with the rank of corporal.

Not sure how you would research the District Guard angle. If you know the area he was living in you could approach local historical societies or search through Trove. He wasn't from Cairns Atherton area?

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

HI Scott,

He apparently lived in Cairns at one stage (I think around 1903) but when the War was on, I believe his family were at Enoggera, Brisbane.  I know there was or still is an Enoggera Army Barracks.  Maybe he was there, but I don't know how to check any of that out.

I know this may sound silly to you, but I know nothing about military things.  Is the District Guard (from it's name) someone in charge of a district and would he have had to enlist like other soldiers to do that?  Wouldn't he have to do something really good to become a Corporal?

I appreciate your help.  Thank you so much.

Kay

I suspect that District Guard is more likely to be militia forces guarding the local area ( infrastructure and military installations ).

There is a good chance if he was a corporal he may well have served in a local militia unit for several years. There were numerous militia units around at the time but very rare to find records. Most soldiers who enlisted in the AIF listed their militia experience when they enlisted but I can’t find Frederick Francis Wilson.

Also possible that he may have served in the Boer War or served in the military outside Australia. Problem is that it is difficult to find records.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Ok, so I know a bit more about what the District Guard is now, thank you. I'll start and go through Trove and the Boer War records and see what I can find.  I might start to enquire at the State Archives also.  I reckon the more places I ask questions, when I get even a small part of an answer, it helps put the jigsaw puzzle together and I might end up with a whole answer at the end of it all.

Thank you so much for your help.

Kay

8 hours ago, KayW said:

Hi Scott,

Ok, so I know a bit more about what the District Guard is now, thank you. I'll start and go through Trove and the Boer War records and see what I can find.  I might start to enquire at the State Archives also.  I reckon the more places I ask questions, when I get even a small part of an answer, it helps put the jigsaw puzzle together and I might end up with a whole answer at the end of it all.

Thank you so much for your help.

Kay

I think it was probably Australia’s WW1 version of a ‘Dad’s Army’, made up predominantly from older men than the usual age for the Militia, Kay.  Guarding key local infrastructure as Waddell says.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Kay,

I have sent you a personal message about this topic.

Regards,

Scott

Thank you Frogsmile. I did wonder about the age thing.

Waddell, I will email you soon. Thank you.

Kay