Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Displaying 1907s

Andrew1966

Good evening all. After pondering how to display my growing collection of 1907s I have come up with this idea. I am curious to see how and know how other people have gone about solving this dilemma. I appreciate that I am a single man living on my own so I have very few restrictions as to what I can put on my walls or display in my living room ***. 

So while in the process of constructing the display rack and with my intention of collecting an example from each of the British manufacturers I have got a little confused. Now please forgive me if I am being stupid or asking stupid question. When I googled manufacturers of the 1907 bayonet, it came up with 

Wilkinson 

Vickers 

Mole

Sanderson

Chapman 

However while searching and reading up on these bayonets I am sure I have seen enfield marked ones also. So my question is why isn't enfield listed as a manufacturer. 

Regards 

Andrew 

20240305_193810.jpg

Andrew,

lovely to see your collection growing,

Enfield stopped producing bayonets early in the war to concentrate on other production so quite hard to find a war time produced piece…pic of one below.

I tend to also collect the frogs so display them in those, bit of a pain when you have a move around and have loads of little holes to fill…..I borrowed the dining room and haven’t given it back yet!

Dave.

IMG_5826.jpeg

IMG_5825.jpeg

3 hours ago, Andrew1966 said:

So my question is why isn't enfield listed as a manufacturer. 

I can’t really answer that one, but it also omits RFI (Ishapore), Lithgow, and Remington.

To answer the original question, yes Enfield was definitely a major British manufacturer of the P1907 bayonet. It was the Government body and known as the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield. All the other British makers were Contractors.

We also have P1907s produced in overseas countries, notably Remington in the US, Lithgow in Australia, RFI (Ishapore) in India, together with some other minor Indian and South African makers.

That is a very nice collection Dave, and the presentation looks superb with the frogs when displayed like that. :thumbsup:

Cheers,  SS 

Edited by shippingsteel

I made displays out of ammo crates, no way to display all the P1907s so I rotate through as the mood strikes me:

IMG_1213.jpeg

Edited by DisasterDog
Spelling

8 minutes ago, DisasterDog said:

I can’t really answer that one, but it also omits RFI (Ishapore), Lithgow, and Remington.

It appears it was a small Wikipedia article that was being referenced, so not that surprising.! I Googled the same and that's what came up.

But yes unfortunately quite a lot of information about the subject matter disregarded ... probably because the writer simply didn't know.:unsure:

Cheers,  SS 

I don't display much, it mostly all stays stored in tool cabinets, but here are some P1888's (not P1907s.!) in a lined display drawer which slides in under a glass topped coffee table.

Cheers,  SS

post-52604-0-93857700-1381410493.jpg.6995873c383eeca83f09d1764d78c270.jpg

6 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

I don't display much, it mostly all stays stored in tool cabinets, but here are some P1888's (not P1907s.!) in a lined display drawer which slides in under a glass topped coffee table.

Cheers,  SS

post-52604-0-93857700-1381410493.jpg.6995873c383eeca83f09d1764d78c270.jpg

Love the coffee table idea👍👍👍👍

6 hours ago, DisasterDog said:

I made displays out of ammo crates, no way to display all the P1907s so I rotate through as the mood strikes me:

IMG_1213.jpeg

Great idea, but I’m sure I’d never get away with that😢

Dave.

12 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Great idea, but I’m sure I’d never get away with that😢

Ditto

although I was able to use some nice repainted wooden ammo boxes for grenades as side tables for several years. My daughter grabed them and they are now side tables at her house.

Good evening. Wow some amazing ideas for displaying bayonets, I am obviously going to have to become far creative with my thinking. I really like idea of using the frogs, I have been trying to get my head around all the different types. They also seem to be difficult to come by, especially the leather ones and quite expensive. 

I am also in process of making a display cabinet for my no.4 bayonets. I am not the greatest carpenter so a little filler and some sanding is required as yet. Though I do like the idea of a coffee table display cabinet.20240306_215413.jpg.4123c8f57c757300a1eeb4484e8f0f09.jpg

25 minutes ago, Andrew1966 said:

Good evening. Wow some amazing ideas for displaying bayonets, I am obviously going to have to become far creative with my thinking. I really like idea of using the frogs, I have been trying to get my head around all the different types. They also seem to be difficult to come by, especially the leather ones and quite expensive. 

I am also in process of making a display cabinet for my no.4 bayonets. I am not the greatest carpenter so a little filler and some sanding is required as yet. Though I do like the idea of a coffee table display cabinet.20240306_215413.jpg.4123c8f57c757300a1eeb4484e8f0f09.jpg

Good idea for those number 4’s without scabbards, I picked up three at the weekend and running out of room.
The P37 frogs are far cheaper that 08 or 14 pattern, at 10 or 12 pounds each I pick them up as and when I see them purely to stick away just incase I find another bayonet to display.

Another option I use is some thin garden wire….as below in the pics…works for the number 4’s as well…cheap and simple.

IMG_5827.jpeg

IMG_5829.jpeg

Here are some of mine.BAYONETRACK.JPG.4e2b84021d93d2a445eb2fd3d4165f15.JPG

I still need to make one for the Ross bayonets.

IMG_2865.jpeg

I don’t have a photo, and I only have 4 but I have my bayonets displayed on the end of my deac rifles :)