Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Mill Dressing Station on the Menin Road 1916

David_Blanchard

Looking for more information about this dressing station used by Canadian Units in 1916- Trench Map reference 28.I.10.c.3.3 - described as being 1,000 yards from the Menin Gate. 

The location on a 1916 trench map would be useful or any descriptions.

David 

Hi David, cannot see "The Mill" in Chasseaud or the TrenchMapper lists.  None of the 1916 maps in TrenchMapper shows it but if we plot IWGC exhumations there was at least one body recovered from where you think it was.  Original IWGC cemeteries shown in black.  A specific Canadian unit war diary might yield the location on a map.  Cheers, Bill

Position handed over by G. Stirling Lt.Scots Guards, MGC, 2 Guards' Brigade
Sheet 28 [parts of], 1:2,500
Edition: 20/05/1916
Id: m_027116

image.png.e3937b038929eef9d6cf7d80c21b1610.png

Many thanks for your reply Bill. I have downloaded many of the medical diaries for the 3rd Canadian Division, but no maps. Might have to broaden my research by looking at Infantry units.

David 

David, I can only find 3 items in 28.I containing the word 'mill'.  There is a Mill House just a little north but it is 2.6km from Menin Gate while your one is 1.6k.  Also I'm not sure where the Canadians were in 1916, so excuse my ignorance.  Cheers, Bill

image.png.75df9de920cf0ad063efa525255e21fb.png

Posted (edited)

Bill,

Canadian Brigade war diary from April 1916 - and description of casualty evacuation. The Mill on the Menin Road is shown on the sketch ( although confusingly in the text two map refs are given) 

David 

image.png.36b7e718da93c619c358e37ddf670c1e.pngFound this sketch from the 7th 

image.png.f60bd5557e6ae1e6fb4d211e2b976e3e.png

Edited by David_Blanchard

9 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

The Mill on the Menin Road is shown on the sketc

Sorry David, still struggling.  If I've correctly plotted the references, then the blue line for the left sub sector leads from Hell Fire Corner to the Menin Mill, somewhere around the school.  Overlaying the position on original cemeteries shows it could have been sited on or near the Ecole de Bienfaisance or Menin Road South or Menin Road North as the reference is given  within a 500 x 500 yard sub square. 

Left Sub Sector
28.I.10.c.1.4,Menin Road ADS
28.I.10.c.9.1,Hell Fire Corner
28.I.9.c,Menin Mill

Right Sub Sector
28.I.23.b.8.0,Maple Copse ADS
28.I.22.b.7.8,Road (via trolley)
28.I.10.c.9.1,Hell Fire Corner
28.I.10.c.3.3,Field Ambulance RV

Walking cases

28.I.23.b.8.0,Maple Copse ADS
28.I.21.c.5.8,Railway Dugouts

image.png.ad807b7aa0d53e33bebc3797af04c0e1.png

image.png.b8011f16ae83550b6babb837a1c5a17f.png

Bill,

many thanks again with all your help. I have a few medical war diaries to look at to see if I can come up with more information with regard to Menin Mill.

Dsvid 

• Admin
On 07/03/2024 at 09:18, David_Blanchard said:

Bill,

many thanks again with all your help. I have a few medical war diaries to look at to see if I can come up with more information with regard to Menin Mill.

Dsvid 

Hi David, I am a bit late to this party, however there is a great water colour painting of the inside of it.

Credited to 'George Blair Brown' 49th Battalion.

Link is here; https://www.warmuseum.ca/collections/artifact/1026765

Best Wishes, Bob.

3 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

there is a great water colour painting of the inside of it

Excellent Bob as this confirms the name and that it was on the Menin Road.  I've not found it on any map or in either Chasseaud's list or in the TrenchMapper POI database.

Ditto. Excellent Bob, that’s brilliant! Another find(s) today from the WD DDMS 10 Corps March 1917- Menin Mill still in use. Plus an excellent plan of Railway Dugouts and Burridge’s Post- who was Burridge I wonder? 

David 

F5E9B802-3147-4F59-9F01-9EDB3DFA4B51.jpeg

4E2354D2-7764-493E-8DAB-B8B472CB0203.jpeg

1A047AF8-CB2D-4900-81BA-71E40C1848F1.jpeg

• Admin
7 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

who was Burridge I wonder?

Some good diagrams there David, thanks.

Now, 'Burridge' is mentioned in here, I have not read it yet but with some sleuthing we may find out? :D

https://archive.org/details/47thlondondivisi00maudrich/page/216/mode/2up?q=Burridge

• Admin

From the above book we may find Burridge in the War Diaries for

4th London FA, https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354548

5th London FA, WO 95/2724 https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4555875

6th London FA. WO 95/2725/2  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354549

Colonel Ferguson is this man I believe.

Screenshot courtesy of IWM. https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205294615

image.png.3846df9173052451a67f166f100d64f7.png

Edited by Bob Davies
to add some references.

• Admin
22 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Excellent Bob as this confirms the name and that it was on the Menin Road.  I've not found it on any map or in either Chasseaud's list or in the TrenchMapper POI database.

I am presuming that 'George Blair Brown' 49th Battalion belongs to the CEF.

I am thinking that we may find him in a WD?

• Admin

A bit more about George here.  https://galeriesansnom.wordpress.com/

Passage courtesy of the above.

'George Blair Brown was born in Solsgirth, Clackmannanshire, Scotland on November 23, 1878. Brown trained as an engraver in Stirling and Glasgow, Scotland and he became an expert in metal chasing and repousse. Brown moved to Killam, Alberta on April 15, 1910 intent on becoming a farmer. On a holiday to Edmonton, however, he was persuaded to return to his trade as an engraver. Later he served with the Canadian Forces during the First World War and was with the 49th Edmonton Regiment from 1915 until 1919. After the war he returned to Edmonton and in 1923 he became a member of the Edmonton Art Club. Four years later, in 1927, he became Vice President of the club. He was also a member of the Canadian Society for Graphic Art and the Society of Canadian Painter-Etchers and Engravers. In 1933, Brown commenced etching and devised a method of printing, not related to a mangle or plate printing press. Brown also worked out a new process, which he called “Fire Etching” in which he used dry-point repousse and heat treatment to secure a range of colours without the use of pigment. In later years he turned to wax painting, not having the strength to handle the new plates in engraving. His etchings have been exhibited all over the world including an exhibition at the World’s Fair in New York. George Brown died on November 30, 1965 in Edmonton, Alberta.'

I will have to find him on Ancestry to see what more I can find.

Excellent research as always Bob. I had a look in the war diaries of the various field companies RE  47th and 23rd Divisions but couldn’t find anything out about Burridge’s Post plus the pioneer battalion war diaries but also drew a blank. I am not convinced that Burridge was in the FA of 47th Division- more likely RE as the 47th Div history says 'Burridge  Post,  so-named  by  the  NCO  who  was  responsible  for  its  supervision, consisted  of  the  "shells"  of  a  small  row  of  cottages  with  sand-bagged cupolas  inside.

David 

Edited by David_Blanchard