Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S/7518 Pte John Lynn Royal Highlanders

Stevend

I am researching this locak soldier from my home town  who was born about 1892 in Coatbridge.

He was in the Royal Highlanders 

Then became 24200 in the D.L.I.

On his MIC  hes down as a deserter 7/416

His medals have been scored out.

I am looking for any information on him if possible  to shed some light on his desertion im not sure when he deserted if it was from the Highlanders  then he got put in the DLI.

Any help is appreciated 

@Stevend

The 1914/15 Star Medal Rolls for the Durham Light Infantry records that he disembarked on the 3rd May 1915 with the Royal Highlanders. The Medal Rolls for the British War Medal and Victory Medal shows that he was first with the 1st Battalion, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) then with the Durham Light Infanntry.

A search of newspapers has found an entry in the Dumfries and Galloway Standard, 01 April 1916 which shows a John Lynn of the 1st Black Watch in court for desertion. The article states that he enlisted into the Black Watch in January 1915. It goes on to say that he deserted at Perth and 'went to his people in Coatbridge'. If your man has a family connection to Coatbridge, then this article is your man. (images courtesy of Ancestry and Find My Past)

Lynn_Star Rolls 1.jpg

Lynn_BWM and VM Rolls.jpg

Lynn_deserter.jpg

Edited by Allan1892

11 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

If your man has a family connection to Coatbridge, then this article is your man. (images courtesy of Ancestry and Find My Past)

WFA/Fold3 have a PIC and a PLP for John LYNN, 7158 and 24200, DLI  ... Showing a Coatbridge address.

M

Thank you all very  much  thus is definitely my soldier.

From Coatbridge 

Unfortunately i dont have access tk WFA/Fold3  mag I ask if anyone can send me the PLP andPIC   I woukd be extremely grateful 

Steven 

I might suggest/encourage membership of WFA - not that expensive and you get a lot for your money I reckon ... https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/membership

M

55 minutes ago, Stevend said:

mag I ask if anyone can send me the PLP andPIC   I woukd be extremely grateful 

The Forum rules include the following:

Copyright

The Moderators have a responsibility to ensure that we do not breach any Terms & Conditions laid down by copyright owners.

Members may NOT use the GWF as a platform to ask parties who are subscribers to various subscription sites to download material on their behalf or to post it on the GWF.

It is important to adhere to this as it keeps the Forum on the right side of copyright.

EDIT

As Matlock1418 suggested, membership of the Western Front Association (currently £29 per year) is excellent value not just online but the Association's magazines that each member receives contain tremendous articles on WW1.

Edited by Allan1892
To add postscript