Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of Cap Badge

Rockford

Hello,

I wonder if anyone could venture a guess as to what cap badge this could in the image below?  It is not my photo, so I cannot share the full image and I do not have access to the original.

The cap badge appears distinctive; however, the gentleman is wearing a greatcoat that obscures anything other identifying features. He is the only soldier in the photo, which is a staged studio portrait.

We do not know who the gent is, but are hoping that identification of the cap badge might be a start on the process of identification. I have done some online searching myself this afternoon, but have drawn a blank. The extent of my knowledge only covers the main Scottish regiments, and I can't even hazard a guess at this one.

Best wishes

Brian

Cap Badge.jpg

I saw that one, but the central portion in the photo seems narrower and taller, and the scrolls seem less "attached"? 

It's a possibility though and could just be a trick of the lighting. 

Thanks

Brian

Rockford, 

I see exactly what you mean however it’s been noted before on the forum that there was a fad/fashion for curving the cap badge, in this case it would accentuate the height over width. What also makes this badge look even longer proportionally is the reflection from his chin strap worn over the peak of his cap. 
I think Ken is correct.

Simon

Thanks both - after a bit of digging last night into the family tree of the person who the photo belongs to, we think we may have a contender who did serve with the Army Ordnance Corps after being transferred from the Royal Garrison Artillery. Checking with extended members of the family on that branch should confirm we have the right person.

Best wishes

Brian