Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recently online in the Internet Archive (Archive.org): Some Australian regimental histories

MaureenE

The first two were mentioned in another topic in January 2024.

Two Australian histories, both transcriptions:

The History of the Fifth Light Horse Regiment (Australian Imperial Force) from 1914 to October, 1917 and from October, 1917 to June, 1919 by Brigadier-General L.C. Wilson and Captain H. Wetherell  1926. https://archive.org/details/5thlighthorse/File1_5thLightHorse/  (Also online at anzacs.org)

The Desert Column. Leaves from the Diary of an Australian Trooper in Gallipoli, Sinai and Palestine by Ion L Idriess 1932. Idriess was a member of the 5th Light Horse.https://archive.org/details/desertcolumn

Some further recent additions to the Internet Archive.  The title/links have been copied, so I hope the underlying links work. Click on the titles.

Under Furred Hats. 6th A.L.H. Regt [1919, Australian Light Horse]  By: Geo. L Berrie (George Lachlan) (Lieut.)

Randwick to Hargicourt. History of the 3rd Battalion, A.I.F. [1935, Australian Imperial Force] By: Eric Wren

Forward with the Fifth. The Story of Five Years' War Service, Fifth Inf. Battalion, A.I.F. [1921, Australian Imperial Force] by A W Keown (Albert William)

History of the 10th Battalion, A.I.F [1919, Australian Imperial Force] By: Arthur Limb (1893-1920)

The Story of the Twelfth. A Record of the 12th Battalion, A. I. F. During the Great War of 1914-1918 [Australian Imperial Force] By: L M Newton

"With the Twenty-Second". A History of the Twenty-Second Battalion, A. I. F. [1919, Australian Imperial Force] By: Captain E Gorman (Eugene)

The 38th Battalion A.I.F. The Story and Official History of the 38th Battalion A.I.F. [1920, Australian Imperial Force] By: Eric Fairey

The Fortieth. A Record of the 40th Battalion, A.I.F. [1922, Australian Imperial Force] By: F C Green (Frank Clifton)

Eggs-a-Cook! The story of the Forty-Fourth. War - as the Digger Saw It [1921, 44th Battalion Australian Imperial Force] By: Captain C. Longmore (Cyril)

The Story of a Battalion [1919, 48th Battalion Australian Imperial Force (AIF)] By: W Devine (William)

Sorry I wasn't able to change the font size for the titles/links

Thanks for the latest crop Maureen. I've always thought it's odd that the Australian authorities haven't digitised any of their regimental histories, bearing in mind how much they've done in putting other WWI records online. At least the American libraries are starting to fill the gap.

All the best, John

• 3 weeks later...

Some further recent additions to the Internet Archive.  The title/links have been copied, so I hope the underlying links work. Click on the titles. Sorry I can't alter the size of the font for the titles.

With the Anzacs in Egypt. Life and scenes in the land of the Pharaohs, as seen through Australian spectacles [1916] By: Lieut. David Doull

A Story of Gallipoli with the 5th Brigade [1916, Australian Imperial Force (AIF)] by  Lieut. David Doull

The History of the First Battalion, A.I.F. 1914-1919 [Australian Imperial Force]

The Story of the Seventeenth Battalion A.I.F. in the Great War 1914-1918 [Australian Imperial Force] by Lieutenant-Colonel K.W. Mackenzie (Keith Wemyss)

Maureen

Edit: Added

With the 27th Battery in France. 7th Bde. Australian Field Artillery [1919, Australian Imperial Force (AIF)] by T D Bridger

Edited by MaureenE

• 5 weeks later...

Some further recent additions to the Internet Archive.  The title/links have been copied, so I hope the underlying links work. Click on the titles. Sorry I can't alter the size of the font for the titles.

Sea Transport of the A.I.F. [1925, Australian Imperial Force] by Greville Tregarthen, Naval Transport Board, Melbourne 1925

'Over the Top' with the Third Australian Division [1918, Australian Imperial Force] by GP Cuttriss 1918

Maureen

As always, we are so grateful Maureen.  I've downloaded quite a few of the Australian ones, some of which I already had in hard cover but the electronic ones are easy to find things.

Interesting to see a few pages in many of the books show how it was done - page by page!

image.png.f4a8d02452d72e35c49a03279d6c0cc4.png

image.png.86349e4907620c20221019086889f19e.png