Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bouzincourt trench maps January 1916

Mathew B

Hi 

Looking for trench maps of early 1916 at Bouzincourt around the F2 sector for 219th Field Company if there is any. If not any type of map of around there and then would be great!

Thanks

TrenchMapper is the most obvious source. Just search for Bouzincourt, then you will get 197 georeferenced maps of various types.

Howard

17 hours ago, Howard said:

TrenchMapper is the most obvious source. Just search for Bouzincourt, then you will get 197 georeferenced maps of various types.

Howard

Brilliant thanks 

On 04/03/2024 at 20:48, jonbem said:

Thank you

On 04/03/2024 at 17:41, Mathew B said:

Hi 

Looking for trench maps of early 1916 at Bouzincourt around the F2 sector for 219th Field Company if there is any. If not any type of map of around there and then would be great!

Thanks

Matthew

I always thought that F Sector was at the eastern edge of Authille Wood, which is to the east of Bouzincourt. I know that 51 Div were in the area in November/December 1915 and handed over to 32 Div, of which 219 FC RE was part.

The trenches in F Sector had Lancashire names, as you can see from this sketch in the November 1915 WD of 152 Infantry Brigade. 

I checked the WDs of 32 Div RE including 219 FC. I can not see Wood Post or Rock St mentioned in the F2 sketch but I do not think that there was another F Sector near Bouzincourt.

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2861 

I will do some further research. I know I have seen better maps of Authille Wood.

Brian

152 IB 2861.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547

Matthew

Please see this thread from 2022 onwards, some better maps as well as the above.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/213076-who-names-trenches/page/2/#comment-3115320

EDIT: This thread

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

Matthew

@A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy on the attached thread mentions Wood Post so it must be the correct F2.

Brian

Brian

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Wood Post

Wood Post is shown at X. 1. c. 5. 7 on the map below

image.png.c706414b33fe1734df1c4400ca0cb713.png

20 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Matthew

I always thought that F Sector was at the eastern edge of Authille Wood, which is to the east of Bouzincourt. I know that 51 Div were in the area in November/December 1915 and handed over to 32 Div, of which 219 FC RE was part.

The trenches in F Sector had Lancashire names, as you can see from this sketch in the November 1915 WD of 152 Infantry Brigade. 

I checked the WDs of 32 Div RE including 219 FC. I can not see Wood Post or Rock St mentioned in the F2 sketch but I do not think that there was another F Sector near Bouzincourt.

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2861 

I will do some further research. I know I have seen better maps of Authille Wood.

Brian

152 IB 2861.jpg

Yeah i know in the war diary it mentions F2 Sector around late December 1915 to mid January 1916 but i dont think there is Rock St or Wood Post in the war diary. 

I will have a look around if i can see anything else 

Thanks

19 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Matthew

@A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy on the attached thread mentions Wood Post so it must be the correct F2.

Brian

Brian

Yeah i found 90th Field Ambulance were in Authuille Wood who took in my great great uncle and died of wounds on 15th January part of 219th FC. 

Thanks for your help 

Thanks DR I knew it must be near The Nab.

Brian

Matthew

The page that mentions Wood Post is in the December War Diary of the Commander Royal Engineers 32 Div. I should have been clearer. 

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2379

Brian

CRE 32 2379.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

TrenchMapper has 91 georeferenced maps of this area but unfortunately only 1 shows sectors and it places Wood Post in Sector F.3.

Thiepval, Authille 1:5,000 Hand drawn Id: ma_006590

image.png.ff07eb447f856384320f2cc303b57194.png

Wood post is findable on TrenchMapper's Advanced Search but not on the first map, and shows if you look at m_010744. On m_83_000535 it shows it at a slightly different place, mind you that is a hand drawn map.

Right click and Map ID jump.

Howard

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

TrenchMapper has 91 georeferenced maps of this area but unfortunately only 1 shows sectors and it places Wood Post in Sector F.3.

Thiepval, Authille 1:5,000 Hand drawn Id: ma_006590

image.png.ff07eb447f856384320f2cc303b57194.png

In January 1916 the 219th Fc were doing work on Lime St, Mounteagle street and Ainetree St I believe doing traversing Mg implacements and dug outs from January 1st until the 16th January 1916. I added the war diary below (might not be a great photo)

My Great Great Uncle was killed in this sector on the 15th January and taken too Millencourt Extension Cemetery.

Thanks for the map

IMG_7410.jpeg

Edited by Mathew B

4 hours ago, Mathew B said:

Lime St

Lime St would be roughly parallel to and to the left of the grass track heading towards Lonsdale cemetery in the background of the first attached photo.  Junction with Mounteagle St approximately two-thirds along.  The photo was taken from approx X. 1. a. 7. 5 on what is now the road between Ovillers and Authuille.  The second photo shows slightly more to the left.  Aintree St would have run at the edge of the trees on the left hand edge of the photo, heading back down to the bottom of the photo, not across it.

DSC04138.JPG

DSC04137.JPG

Edited by Don Regiano