Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench art help

Kike

Hi all I just got this today I been researching the name on the front but can’t find anything I think it says  hassicny or massicny I think but not sure also photos of base if you can help 

its 1917 with JUNI,  HL,  St ,  62% Cu, HL35

on base ?

IMG_6559.jpeg

IMG_6558.jpeg

IMG_6557.jpeg

IMG_6556.jpeg

IMG_6555.jpeg

I suspect it maybe ?N?assigny or ?M?assigny  or ?H?assigny   or perhaps of the design is part of the name Chassigny -- a French place name?

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

Chassigny is a location of France, its a german case.

Yes a German shell case manufactured in June 1917 by the Haniel Luege workshop, indicated by the HL letters.

Cheers,  SS 

Trench art is a minefield, literally between turned out by soldiers in the trenches to the streets of towns and villages post war producing souvenirs for those that wanted to revisit or families to visit their lost members.

• 1 month later...
On 04/03/2024 at 21:34, chaz said:

Trench art is a minefield, literally between turned out by soldiers in the trenches to the streets of towns and villages post war producing souvenirs for those that wanted to revisit or families to visit their lost members.

My limited experience and research in this field supports that conclusion. What is also noteworthy is how I have seen many more French cases tranformed in this way that German examples, suggesting the existence of a war-time and post-war cottage-type industry in the most affected regions. Under UK law, the cases were the property of the government for r-use - but not in FRanc? Anyway, IIRC, the topic of this 'commemorative' trade is discussed in Battlefield Tourism: Pilgrimage and the Commemoration of the Great War in Britain, Australia and Canada, 1919-1939 (The Legacy of the Great War), D.Lloyd, Berg Publishers (1998)