Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking information on Corporal Thomas Durie

Durie

• Admin

Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have an enquiry?

There is no such thing as "The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers".

What you possibly mean is that he originally joined the LNLR and later transferred to the RWF. They were two separate distinct infantry Regiments.

Regards

Russ

Not sure, I am just finding details. I would love to find a picture of Thomas as he died in Australia after emigrating after the war. His service number was 48484, he was a Corporal apparently, name Thomas Edward Durie. 

• Admin

Medal index card ©️ Ancestry. The number you have is wrong. It is 42484. As Russ has stated, he served in the LNL and the RWF, two separate regiments. Information on how to interpret the card is here

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/how-to-interpret-a-campaign-medal-index-card/

IMG_1013.png

• Admin

I don’t know where you got the information in your first post, but he didn’t obtain the rank of corporal. He was appointed  Lance Corporal. His medals are awarded to the rank of private as denoted by the cross with the dots at the corners, and Pte(private) next to LNL on the card. 

Thank you so much for the information. My dad will be delighted to have this information. I would love to find a picture of him. He is buried in Australia and I am going to visit his grave as he has been there alone since 1929.

Thomas Edward DURIE

The WFA/Fold 3 have a pension index card as 42484 [originally written as 48484 - so possible the source in the OP?] and a pension ledger page too as 42484.

His unspecified disability claim was Rejected.

No rank was indicated

Address as in OP

Best place to look for photos is possibly in local newspapers.

When did he go to Australia?

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Find a Grave have a newspaper article about his death

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/256201182/thomas-edward-durie 

Buried: Meekatharra Public Cemetery, Meekatharra, Meekatharra Shire, Western Australia, Australia

M

Edit: FaG seem likely to have been the origin of the OP - same questionable wording/details

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

15 minutes ago, Durie said:

Thank you so much for the information. My dad will be delighted to have this information. I would love to find a picture of him. He is buried in Australia and I am going to visit his grave as he has been there alone since 1929.

These are the badges he wore. 

IMG_2372.jpeg

IMG_2966.jpeg

Wow, thank you all so

much for the information. He left Liverpool on 21st July 1923 for Western Australia. 

Thomas Edward “Tom” Durie (1894-1929) - Find a Grave Memorial.jpeg

I have found his grave, just need to go and place a cross with his name, let him know we have finally found him 🥲

Meekatharra Cemetery.jpeg

IMG_4787.jpeg

IMG_4786.jpeg

Meekatharra Cemetery  MET 331.jpeg

Hi Durie

I think it is wonderful that you want to visit the grave of your relative Thomas Durie.  I have to say my interest was piqued by the reference to Meekatharra so I had a rummage through the Australian newspaper archive Trove (Home - Trove (nla.gov.au) (I've been doing a bit of rummaging today!)  If you put in his name there is quite a few articles about the search for him, but I warn you they are a sad read.  I couldn't find a photo which is not unexpected as he was here for a very short time.   However, one article in particular caught my eye.

12 Sep 1929 - DEMENTED MAN LOST. - Trove (nla.gov.au)

Imagine my surprise when I realised it was my grandfather that found your relative with Moses:o

I'm not sure whether you are based in Australia and if you are please ignore the next bit of advice - but if you are not just be aware that Meekatharra is a long way from anywhere, and Peak Hill no longer exits.

I wish you all the luck in finding a photo and learning more about his war history, and also with your trip to Meekatharra.:) Regards, Clancy

image.png