Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Northern France

I wanted to first thank everyone that assisted me with researching my great grandfather John H Wade # 6860 1st Bn. East Surrey who died on May 28th 1916 in Blangy St. Laurent outside of Arras.  I would not have been able to find the information I did without the great people on this forum!!  

I am finally able to come and visit Northern France and visit my great grandfathers grave in Cabaret-Rouge Cemetery in Souchez.  I believe I am the first relative, at least from Canada, that has been able to make the trip so I am very excited.  We are heading to Arras as soon as we land and will check out the city and make out way out to where the front was in 1916 in Blangy north of the cemetery.  Then visit his final resting place in Souchez.  

Two questions.  He was originally buried in the Blangy Military Cemetery outside of Arraz and in 1924 was moved to Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery where he is today.  Does anyone know where the original Blangy Cemetery was located - I am assuming it is not developed but would just like to know where it was (that would also give me a better idea exactly where he was in his final days?

My second question is what else should I visit while I am in the region.  I plan on going to Carriere Wellington, Somme/Luchnagor Crater, Vimy Ridge Canadian Memorial, and Verdun and if time permits.  What would you say is the best ww1 museum in the region?

Thanks again for all your assistance and looking forward to my trip in May.

Cheers - John Wade

Link to the research already done by GWF pals is here, to save duplication of research.

John, have a great trip and not quite sure why this is a new thread.  The original location of the Blangy Cemetery is given by the CWGC.  There were 2 Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and it looks like he was closer to the Blangy Cross Roads cemetery.  The modern location and address is marked with a yellow pin:

50.293701, 2.795700
1, Avenue Roger Salengro, Saint-Laurent-Blangy, Arras, Pas-de-Calais, Hauts-de-France, Metropolitan France, 62223, France

image.png.6cb0c12a0265c90b7ac846759e1e7a1e.png

I suggest you visit the CWGC Visitor Centre at Beaurains, on the outskirts of Arras. 

Allow an hour or so. It is only a few minutes drive from Wellington Caves.

Edited by Ken Lees

• Admin

I wouldn’t personally bother spending too long at Lochangar, though the views are spectacular. The Newfoundland  Park at Beaumont Hamel maybe, and whilst at Arras, the Caribou at Monchy. When near Verdun, I’d say a visit to the Main de Massiges is very worthwhile. 
You could also visit the 14-18  museum at Souchez, and Notre Dame de Lorette.

https://memorial1418.com/en/
There is also the Hill 70 memorial in Loos en Gohelle. 

If you do visit Newfoundland Park, perhaps you could also take in Thiepval.  If you go to this area from Arras via Bapaume (D917) then on to the D929 towards Albert you will pass a small memorial to Canadians on the Somme at Courcelette.  It's right next to the road.

You could continue on towards Albert (you will if you are going to Lochnagar) passing various memorials in the area of Pozieres (Australians, the first tanks etc) and, if you have time, the Historial de la Grande Guerre in the centre of Péronne is worth a visit (the Albert-Peronne road D938 follows quite closely that part of the front line on 1 July 1916).  It is one of the better museums.  It used to be possible to get a ticket which covered this museum and the one at Thiepval at a reduced rate compared to buying separate tickets.  It's not expensive anyway.

On 03/03/2024 at 19:22, WhiteStarLine said:

John, have a great trip and not quite sure why this is a new thread.  The original location of the Blangy Cemetery is given by the CWGC.  There were 2 Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and it looks like he was closer to the Blangy Cross Roads cemetery.  The modern location and address is marked with a yellow pin:

50.293701, 2.795700
1, Avenue Roger Salengro, Saint-Laurent-Blangy, Arras, Pas-de-Calais, Hauts-de-France, Metropolitan France, 62223, France

Thank-you very much.  I cannot believe all the knowledge that is in this Forum.  

On 03/03/2024 at 19:22, WhiteStarLine said:

50.293701, 2.795700

Thank you very much sir.  I am amazed by the kindness and the knowledge on this web page.  I am looking forward to visiting this area.

I’ll second the museum at Peronne. It’s some years since I last visited but at that time it had been voted French museum of the year and deservedly so in my opininion.

Simon

On the Somme, I wouldn't miss Thiepval and the nearby Ulster Tower. Try, if you can, to get on one of the (free-voluntary donations) tours that they they run from the Tower into Thiepval Wood, with its preserved trenches etc. I haven't been for a few years but I seem to recall that the museum (including the Ring of Remembrance) at Notre Dame De Lorette was very good. 

Edited by Mark Hone

Hi John.

If you are going to go to Newfoundland Park you may also like to visit Hawthorn Ridge crater where you can view a short but bloody battle from start to finish, which took place on the 1st of July 1916.It involved the Lancashire Fusiliers, and the mine explosion was also filmed. Also the Pozieres Memorial it commemorates those who fell in 1918 , it's on the D929 road from Albert to Bapaume.

Hope you enjoy your visit and the weather is kind to you.

Regards

Andy 

On 08/03/2024 at 15:25, Mark Hone said:

On the Somme, I wouldn't miss Thiepval and the nearby Ulster Tower. Try, if you can, to get on one of the (free-voluntary donations) tours that they they run from the Tower into Thiepval Wood, with its preserved trenches etc. 

Also in the area of Thiepval you have Puiseux, Serre Road, Beaumont Hamel,  Mailly Maillet, the Ancre, Battery Valley, Schwaben Redoubt, Pozieres, Martinpuich etc. Martin Middlebrook's  The Somme book gives plenty of walks or drives around the area to give an idea of conditions.

As mentioned also the CWGC centre in Arras is good for a rest stop. Bear in mind, apart from there, Thiepval, Newfoundland Park facilities are few and far between. keep stocked up with drinks but toilets only at the big centres.