Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Shetland reference in The Sea is Strong, by Admiral Sir Dudley de Chair, Harrap, 1961

I understand that De Chair, suspected that Germany had a base in the Shetland Islands, and had potential anchorages searched during Aug. 1914.

I would be grateful if someone can check their copy of The Sea is Strong for any reference to this.

I believe there were early suspicions that the Germans had a base (s) in the Faeroe Islands. HMS ENDYMION and HMS GIBRALTAR were sent to investigate over several days in mid-August 1914. Bases in the Shetlands seem a bit unlikely.

@JohnH

Taken from "The Sea is Strong"....  pages 168, 169.    However, no mention of a German base on the Shetland islands.

Altho loaded in right side up, pages seem to have downloaded sideways.... perhaps @FROGSMILE  might be able to correct as he has done so for me recently.

20240302_144538_resized.jpg

20240302_144557_resized.jpg

Glad to help. 

IMG_2917.jpeg

IMG_2918.jpeg

on page 167 it is briefly mentioned in the middle paragraph that searching for enemy bases was part of their initial war mission.

Edited by Felix C

Reginald Tupper spends quite a few pages on this aspect in his book Reminiscences.

For many years, the Shetland Islands were simply regarded as a remote periphery of the UK, however as the threat of war increased, their geo-strategic significance began to be appreciated. In May 1913, the 9th Flotilla visited the islands and conducted a survey of all inlets to ascertain whether a hostile navy could in fact capture and hold a base in the Shetland Islands, as Churchill was concerned that Shetland might perhaps constitute an objective for attack immediately on the outbreak of war. Subsequently, Lt. Col Evans RM was sent to Lerwick to expand and reorganise the Shetland RNR and local Territorial unit for the specific purpose of creating an effective coast watching force (establishing 35 lookout stations on the islands).

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

16 hours ago, JohnH said:

De Chair, ... ... had potential anchorages searched during Aug. 1914.

de Chair may indeed have been searching the Shetland Islands and their inlets for anchorages, 
but intended for his own force which was eventually based at Swarbacks Minn