Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform or photo dress up

Hi, does anyone know what the uniform on the attached photos is please. The photo is on the back of a postcard and has xmas 1912 written on it. The postcard is written in English. I have scanned the photo at 600 but the date isn't showing on the photo.

I am wondering if it's a genuine military photo or if it would be something that the photographers studio would use for taking photos.

img018.jpg

img019.jpg

It’s a fireman’s uniform, but I’m not sure what geographical location.  The clue for that will be on the buttons.  A naval style double breasted jacket and sailor type cap was quite commonly favoured for fire brigades uniform, with the number on his breast referring to the tender or perhaps station that the man was assigned to (this seems to have been dropped later on).

A brass helmet was usually worn for call-outs and ceremonial purposes, but the soft cap otherwise.

I think that the nautical style is likely because some of the earliest brigades, often funded via insurance companies, were established in sea ports where wooden sailing ships were a constant fire hazard.

I’d date the photo to around the turn of the 20th century.

IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

IMG_2888.jpeg

IMG_2889.jpeg

IMG_2890.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg

IMG_2894.jpeg

IMG_2895.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Wow, that's great. It's in a box of photos that I know the family name for so will try and see if I can see a Fireman in any of them. The family lived in North Yorkshire and East Durham. Thank you and for the other photos as well.

I love this forum, so much knowledge from the people on it.

Just now, emam said:

Wow, that's great. It's in a box of photos that I know the family name for so will try and see if I can see a Fireman in any of them. The family lived in North Yorkshire and East Durham. Thank you and for the other photos as well.

I love this forum, so much knowledge from the people on it.

I’m glad to help.