Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Raby Riley Pilot 3 Squadron RAF 1918 - Awarded French Croix de Guerre?

Clive ex RAF plumber

Good Morning All,  Could anyone confirm if the above named pilot was awarded the French Croix de Guerre I have checked the London Gazette and can't find any reference.  He was also awarded an MC and DFC in the Great War.

Kind Regards

Clive  

51 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

Again, no mention of a C de G on the link below

Medal Page J3094 (jagermedals.com)

Hi Allan, Thanks for all your searching I to had tried 'The Aerodrome', it would appear it's highly unlikely he was awarded a Croix de Guerre but you never know there were that many awarded that did not appear in the London Gazette. Regards Clive  

Good Afternoon All,  Just checked Casualty Cards on the RAF Museum Hendon site and note he was wounded (GSW) in the arm on the 22.4.18 when I've checked his service history on the National Archives page two of his service history is blank no mention of any medals, awards or wounds so there is still the possibility of an award of the Croix de Guerre.  Can't think of anywhere else to search.  Regards Clive 

11 hours ago, hmsk212 said:

Hi

You will probably need to go to Kew to check through these two  files :-

Personnel - confidential reports, recommendations for awards, etc. | The National Archives

Recommendations for honours and awards. | The National Archives

These files quite often had recommendations for foreign awards within them.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve pity they are not digitalised as a trip to Kew is out of the question as I live in Cumbria. Thanks once again. Clive

Hi

The Book  by Hal Giblin and Norman Franks " The Military Cross to Flying Personnel of Great Britain and the Empire 1914 - 1919 " mentions his medals being offered for sale by Spinks in June 1999.  These consisted of his MC, DFC and Pair, there was no mention of a Croix de Guerre.

Steve

42 minutes ago, hmsk212 said:

Hi

The Book  by Hal Giblin and Norman Franks " The Military Cross to Flying Personnel of Great Britain and the Empire 1914 - 1919 " mentions his medals being offered for sale by Spinks in June 1999.  These consisted of his MC, DFC and Pair, there was no mention of a Croix de Guerre.

Steve

Hi Steve, Thank you so much for that it would appear someone has added a Croix de Guerre to his group of medals.  Many thanks Clive