Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

F Drabble 212955 raf

arantxa

Hello

I have ancestry but it doesnt seem to have RAF records could some one tell me where else i can look  the national archives says its in mypast but im not a member of that i just want to see his occupation in the RAF

His record is on FindMyPast.  You should be able to access it at a local library.

Thank you for looking that up for me I’m very appreciative 

have a good evening 

The RAF Records are also available on Ancestrys sister site of Fold 3 and Forces War Records

When I clicked on Fold 3 it said you have to upgrade which seems a bit unfair ad I’ve been paying to Ancestry for 6 years every month 

Who is best for value ? 

Interesting to see on his service record that he declared his occupation was that of a FOOTBALLER -- a quick search comes up with him playing in goal for a number of clubs including Tottenham Hotspur; Burnley; Bradford Park Avenue; Bolton Wanderers and Southport.

Gosh thats interesting can you post his service record up  only if you have time 

Depending on when he played football at Bradford Park Avenue he may have been in the same team as Donald Simpson Bell, the only English professional footballer to win a Victoria Cross.

Simon

Edited by mancpal
Pressed send by mistake

1 minute ago, mancpal said:

Depending on when he played football at Bradford Park Avenue

It looks like he played for Bradford Park Avenue for a single season, 1913-14, according to his Wikipedia page.

Bell joined Bradford Park Avenue in 1913 so its highly likely they were teammates.

Simon

I was just reading about Bell...what a brave chap

For most conspicuous bravery. During an attack a very heavy enfilade fire was opened on the attacking company by a hostile machine gun. 2nd Lt. Bell immediately, and on his own initiative, crept up a communication trench and then, followed by Corpl. Colwill and Pte. Batey, rushed across the open under very heavy fire and attacked the machine gun, shooting the firer with his revolver, and destroying gun and personnel with bombs. This very brave act saved many lives and ensured the success of the attack. Five days later this very gallant officer lost his life performing a very similar act of bravery.[7]

i had never heard Of Bradford Park Avenue

I wonder if Colwell and Batey were recognised with perhaps the DCM or MM ?

Simon

@arantxa I have sent you a PM

2 hours ago, arantxa said:

i had never heard Of Bradford Park Avenue

Still in existence playing in the Northern Premier League and currently standing 19th with 21 points.

I went to one of those schools where it was only Rugby and Cricket ***

With a service number with 2 in front says he was RNAS which he joined on 8/4/16 rising to the rank of Petty Officer A.E and transfered to the RAF 31/3/18. He then went to Italy with the RAF joining 226 Sqdn 15/4/18 at Spinola .He came home on 2/3/19.In the RAF he was a Fitter A.E which meant he worked on aero engines

Thank you...does 2 always denote RNAS ?

The service numbers starting with 200001 to 260000 were given to RNASpersonel who transfered to the RAF on the 1st April 1918

200001 to 202902 RNAS enlistments 1914 . 202903 to 210316 RNAS enlistments 1915 .210317 to 225060 RNAS enlistments 1916 ,225061 to 244710 RNAS enlistments 1917 .244711 to 260000 RNAS enlistments 1918. So if his sevice number starts with a 2 he is ex RNAS

That is really interesting thank you 

I don’t know if you saw my post but did all officers get a new commission so to speak when they transferred to the RAF  ie re gazetted 

Thank you hmsk

I didn't see your post but most officers who were serving in the RFC or RNAS when the RAF was formed got a new commission certificate with the RAF.

Steve 

Thank you hmsk i did wonder