Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Incendiary bomb

6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

Hi all

Trying to find out if this from a Aircraft or Zeppelin baby killer and what kind of incendiary bomb it would have been? From a photo in my collection.

Writing reads on back. Incendiary bomb which fell in infirmary grounds Edinburgh

April. 2nd 1916

post-6628-1113999596.jpg

Hi all

Trying  to find out if this from a Aircraft or Zeppelin baby killer and what kind of incendiary bomb it would have been? From a photo in my collection.

Writing reads on back. Incendiary bomb which fell in infirmary grounds Edinburgh

April. 2nd 1916

post-6628-1113999596.jpg

Could be a "blind" from the actual zepplin

The object does look a bit like a mangled German incendiary bomb after use (see the photo below of one that burnt out after a September 1915 raid) but the central post looks to be much longer in relation to the cover than in the other bomb.

On the night of 2/3 April 1916 Edinburgh was bombed by two German Navy Zeppelins: L14 commanded by Kapitänleutnant Alois Böcker bombed the city between 2330 and 0015, and L22 commanded by Kapitänleutnant Martin Dietrich bombed at about 2350.

Gareth

post-45-1114035409.jpg

Gareth

Thanks for the info it looks to the similar ass the one in your pic.

I only paid 50 cents N.Z for it a few years ago, now i no what it is and from which two Zeppelins it could have been from makes it very interesting thanks for that.

Morse what is a Blind?.

can anyone tell me if any other Incendiary devices hit the infirmary? or is any damage was done to this area also what type of Incendiary device is it called?