Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some of my collection

5thBatt

Very nice collection. I do not know how many makers for SMLE there were, but you should have several!Are they mostly pre war/ Great War?. The Wire cutters are exelent touch. I no think I will ever get one, because have no way to tell original from repro, they started making repro back in 1980’s.  What are those other things on the chair?

again, exelent group of toys, can I come over and play!! Pleeeas😊

Yes I was very fortunate today to be treated to a special "private viewing" of 5thBatt's most impressive collection of GW era Enfield rifles, together with the required number of those extra bayonet attachments (also quite impressive).

As you can see from the photos (including a couple that I took shown below) it was quite the tabletop exhibition.! Ranging from the early MLM and MLE right through every Mark of the earlier SMLE that I can think of, it was especially noteworthy for the sheer excellent condition of every piece.

IMG20240229173007.jpg.fbae2e8e4e9fd1c952552e90d7b08c62.jpg

While 5thBatt was very generous with his time, I believe he quite enjoyed explaining the intricacies of the minor differences between each variant and Mark of rifle. A nice selection of P1907 Hookies shown in the foreground complemented the collection (with some Mk.I scabbards) and I was kept very busy checking out all the interesting markings including many unique NZ identifiers.

IMG20240229173218.jpg.3d4bf1496ca6df6c80e1a44bcc560718.jpg

A bunch of other scarce Maker P1907s and a couple nice P1888 and P1903 bayonets with correct Mk.I scabbards rounded things out, but I was struggling to add much extra input to their stories. A handful of other quite rare and interesting accessories on show and that filled in the afternoon. 

So as you can imagine I was like the kid in the candy shop today, and I really hope 5thBatt gets all the drool cleaned off those rifles ASAP.!! All in all a great visit for anyone interested in the British GW era weaponry, and I would like to sincerely thank him for being a great Forum pal and showing me around. :thumbsup:

Cheers,  SS 

Lucky you! 

Over the years I have been in awe of @5thBatt's examples shared on the forum, not just for the range and knowledge behind them but the sheer quality of the specimens. While I have a good range of Enfields among all of them I have only one or two rifles that even approximate the quality of the any of these. It's a truly superb collection of examples. 

Chapeau!

Chris

Yes, the quality of those examples is top-notch!

19 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

What are those other things on the chair.?

20240229_150513.jpg.4553a22c69feb2657407fec527ac04d9.jpg.0bc72080b8b6dbc2b898be8792d7887e.jpg

The interesting items shown on the chair include the British Wire Cutter (rifle mounted) and the Wire Breaker which was attached to the bayonet. 

IMG_20240301_162111.jpg.8f270eaa8370ff2b117bc1cc92587117.jpg

Then we have the very rare early pattern Oiler kit which incorporated an oil storage container and spoon, together with the pull through in the same small tin.

The remaining pointy thing is an alleged "Israeli No.6" bayonet for the SMLE rifle, but not a lot is known about them. It is obviously based on the British No.5 bayonet but can attach to the SMLE. They are not marked at all.

Cheers,  SS 

Thanks again for sharing here 5thBatt. Exellent is the least I can say for a wonderful collection

17 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

The remaining pointy thing is an alleged "Israeli No.6" bayonet for the SMLE rifle, but not a lot is known about them. It is obviously based on the British No.5 bayonet but can attach to the SMLE. They are not marked at all.

Anyone interested in this "wildcat" bayonet can find more discussion in this link below. My money would be on Indian/Pakistan manufacture ...

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=72930

Cheers,  SS 

Some of mine. Mks I, I* II, III, III*, III Skeletonised, IV, V & VI.

SMKEs (a).JPG

SMLEs (b).JPG

Two fabulous collections, thanks for taking the time and making the effort to share - GWF at its best.
Ironically, in the UK - the land of their creation - due to current Firearms legislation, assembling a collection of this size, of the same calibre would be unthinkable - unless it was an established lifetime collection dating back over many decades. Their presence on ranges has also reduced dramatically over the last ten years or so. That said, the thriving - though much maligned - deactivated market will at least ensure they don’t entirely disappear from sight in the UK.

Some stunning Mk I, I*’s on show.  My favourite variant, with all its Edwardian elegance and the best looking bayonet. Extremely rare in the UK - those that do turn up are often worn out ex-grenade launcher conversions with big ugly transverse screws through the forend and evidence of wire binding, or very battered DP versions, or sometimes both. 

Terry, your Mk I * (rifle number 199 !) - interesting to see the beautiful light woodwork. This was discussed on a thread sometime back which included archival evidence that in pre 1914 manufacture, ‘American Whitewood’ was sometimes used as an alternative to red walnut. I suspect it could also simply be down to the stain used in the finishing process. Your example bears a striking resemblance to this outstanding museum rifle.

Thanks again,

Pete

IMG_1231.jpeg

Edited by Pete_C

Pete,

Actually, the SMLE MkI* is the only rifle amongst those shown whose history can be traced to some extent with any likely conclusions. It is marked to the Natal Light Horse, a small unit which only existed during the South African invasion of South West Africa. It is thus quite possible that it was used in the battle of Gibeon.

Terry 

Natal Light Horse No.1 MkI st (2).jpg

38 minutes ago, Terrylee said:

Pete,

Actually, the SMLE MkI* is the only rifle amongst those shown whose history can be traced to some extent with any likely conclusions. It is marked to the Natal Light Horse, a small unit which only existed during the South African invasion of South West Africa. It is thus quite possible that it was used in the battle of Gibeon.

Terry 

Natal Light Horse No.1 MkI st (2).jpg

Wonderful - I’m assuming it’s also all matching, as issued ?

At first glance I took the ‘415’ to be an April 1915 issue date, but having just looked up the NLH casualties of the campaign, I note that 415 falls within the range of the service numbers of those who died, none of which get into four figures - could this possibly be the service number of the soldier it was initially issued to ?

Also, do you ever take it to the range, and if so, Mk VI or Mk VII ?

Pete

All matching, barrel, action and bolt. I consider "415" to be the rack number. I don't know whether this would apply to the soldier directly. Have never got around to shooting this Mk I* since I far prefer my later 7.62 conversions. My .303s are all respected wall-hangers.

Terry

Here are a couple of other useful accessories for those lovely looking early rifles.! 

Cheers,  SS

IMG_20200411_225635.jpg.bde88c412651bdf5697f72657444a591.jpg.cd95c3f383800faf1c1042bbef76b58c.jpg

IMG_20240127_205153.jpg.aa41e2c58f16fd6e9cd9f7fe6873c4ed.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 01/03/2024 at 14:41, shippingsteel said:

20240229_150513.jpg.4553a22c69feb2657407fec527ac04d9.jpg.0bc72080b8b6dbc2b898be8792d7887e.jpg

The interesting items shown on the chair include the British Wire Cutter (rifle mounted) and the Wire Breaker which was attached to the bayonet. 

IMG_20240301_162111.jpg.8f270eaa8370ff2b117bc1cc92587117.jpg

Then we have the very rare early pattern Oiler kit which incorporated an oil storage container and spoon, together with the pull through in the same small tin.

Cheers,  SS 

Is there still nothing known more about the No.6 bayonet- I have been looking at mine for ages and I still have nothing solid written down about it.

I have seen that link before but nothing has come out of it 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16