Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S R Wason Index card

david bush

Hoping someone can assist. Attached to SR Wasons (no.4037)index card was the following. I can see his name mentioned in the gazette on page 1655. Just don't have context? anyone know what the reference would be for. Also the letters that precede London Gazette, any idea what they mean?

Thanks in advance

IMG_1483.jpeg

41 minutes ago, david bush said:

Also the letters that precede London Gazette, any idea what they mean?

MiD - Mentioned in Despatches. The heading for the award will be on one of the previous pages 1654 or 1653 or even further back depending on how many awards were Gazetted on that date.

Charlie

THANK YOU. Can anyone tell me in what unit he served when in Gallipoli in 1915. I would really appreciate any assistance. This guy is the key to my grandfathers service. Wasons reg no is 4037

I don't know if this will help but Ancestry has his medal roll which indicates who he was with on disembarkation in 1914

image.jpeg.63ac7f01f44ea0105463af6f9b80f7f6.jpeg

George

And his Medal Index Card-seems to show BEF which I think was France rather than Gallipoli

image.jpeg.83d666f099e187c46240c127d0312867.jpeg

George

(also Ancestry)

• Admin
2 hours ago, david bush said:

THANK YOU. Can anyone tell me in what unit he served when in Gallipoli in 1915. I would really appreciate any assistance. This guy is the key to my grandfathers service. Wasons reg no is 4037

Officers didn’t have service numbers in the Great War. Not sure what you mean by this number? 

• Michelle Young changed the title to S R Wason Index card
Just now, Michelle Young said:

Officers didn’t have service numbers in the Great War. Not sure what you mean by this number? 

Confused me too but on using it in Fold3 turns up various Gazette entries-C.B. / M.C./ promotions etc well into WW2

George

• Admin

Strange! 

9 hours ago, david bush said:

Hoping someone can assist. Attached to SR Wasons (no.4037)index card was the following. I can see his name mentioned in the gazette on page 1655. Just don't have context? anyone know what the reference would be for. Also the letters that precede London Gazette, any idea what they mean?

Thanks in advance

8 hours ago, charlie2 said:

MiD - Mentioned in Despatches. The heading for the award will be on one of the previous pages 1654 or 1653 or even further back depending on how many awards were Gazetted on that date.

The bit relating to the following names all being MiD:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29072/supplement/1647

His name:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29072/supplement/1655