Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding AIF soldier's record & nominal roll

tankengine888

Hello!

I cannot find the record or nominal roll entry on NAA nor AWM for-

950 Arthur Mansfield, embarked with 'C' Company, 17th Battalion on May 12th 1915.

Any help is much appreciated.

Zidane.

I might add- He was wounded serving with the 53rd Battalion as 'C' Company's Company Sergeant Major around or prior to September 4th, 1916.

If he served WW2 his WW1 record will be in the file under the WW2 service number.

6 minutes ago, Fedelmar said:

If he served WW2 his WW1 record will be in the file under the WW2 service number.

However his original First War file would remain, but there'll be a page to say it was merged with his second war dossier.

Example below (link)

NAA: B2455, CARLSON A L

While he shown in the emb rolls under that name and number, thats the end

No soldiers are shown during WWII, under that name, and even fudging the birth dates the closest is shown born in 1905?

His father GF Mansfield in Wyman st Broken Hill 

With Arty being a 22 year old machine driller, no dought working in the mines at Broken Hill, you would think there would be more of a trail but no?

I should add that I have a number of ALH soldiers from the Emb rolls who are just not in the records (ANA) and just disappeared.

BAIN    John    N/R    Pte    11 LHR    6R (not identified) all checks failed to find who he is?    N/R    Carpenter    26    Brisbane Qld    enl 28-9-14    N/R    North Dame Saskatchewan Canada

Some just fall down a big hole

Edited by stevenbecker

45 minutes ago, stevenbecker said:

While he shown in the emb rolls under that name and number, thats the end

His father GF Mansfield in Wyman st Broken Hill 

The only things I have after his embarkation is a promotion- that is to say, in someone elses record. 'Sgt etc promoted CSM vice 950 Mansfield Wounded'

Can't find a G F Mansfield in Broken Hill. Trove doesn't have much from what I searched.

I wonder why these records have just disappeared

Zidane

Mate,

I should add that all WWI service records in fact all service records (WWI and WWII) were kept at CARO in Melbourne (Central Army Records Office)

At times some of the people who worked there, were not up to the job, and many records became mixed, or lost thanks to these people.

Thats why now days you with find records with other soldiers papers in them. These records were moved to Canberra (ANA) in the 90's, and only then did they start the invaluble copying them onto the Net well into the new century

Thats a long time and many hands for things to go missing

Edited by stevenbecker

Fold3 have this information for him

Full Name Mansfield, A

Incident Date 3 Jan 1916

Further Information This man was entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe" as authorised under Army Order 204 of 6th July 1916. The terms of this award being met by their naming in this list.

Information Listed as "Wounded" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office from 3rd January 1916.

Rank Name Private

Service Number 950

Duty Location Mediterranean Expeditionary Force 

Service Australian Imperial Force

Primary Unit Australian Imperial Force 

Secondary Unit 17th Battalion

Tertiary Unit Infantry

Archive Reference DT04011916

George

The date of "wounding" seems strange, from the AWM on the 17th Battalion - " The Battalion was evacuated from Gallipoli in December 1915.
After further training in Egypt, the 17th Battalion proceeded to France. Landing there on 22 March 1916,... " I dont like translations without seeing the original document!

He does seem to have vanished, nothing I search in comes up with him or his father.

Very odd. Like someone wanted his record kept quiet!?

regards

Robert

Very odd fellow isn't he?

What's the best course of action? Contact the archives? Otherwise I'm stumped!

yeh, I think run him past them, they may have something there.

I managed to find someone I was chasing who had post-WW2 service, so they have opened some of his file.

Hope to see it sometime (not online!!)

regards

Robert