Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shoeing smith and a long shot

alansteel

I'm researching my grandfather Jack or John Watson, who according to my mothers birth certificate was "employed" as  an "ex shoeing smith Royal Field Artillery '' and "ex Private Labour Corps". 

In trying to look further into this I came across a discussion about a "shoeing smith" on the Great War Forum saying "136 Battery RFA, and its sister company 137 Battery RFA originated from Newcastle and were part of the First reserve Brigade (Newcastle upon Tyne)"

I also understand that the Labour Corps included Depot Labour Companies  back in the United Kingdom. One of the Depot Labor Corps was assigned to the Durham Light Infantry. The 9th Battalion was based at Burt Terrace which was  not far from where he lived in Gateshead, so its possible he could have been attached to either of these units.

I do have the 3 photos below, which include Jack (center, with the ball in the football team), but cannot distinguish the cap badges.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to possible locations for other information.

thumbnail_Jack Watson - in uniform.jpg

thumbnail_Jack Watson (1).jpg

thumbnail_Jack Watson.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The photos are sadly poor quality, but I would say the middle photo, the shape of the cap badge suggests Army Service Corps.

Alan

Welcome to the forum , I am guessing that you do not have access to your grandfathers medals which would include his service number.  Please can you post as many details as you know age date of birth and possible address.  Is their anything in the local papers when he died.

Best wishes with your research

Malcolm 

Thank yo both for your quick responses - Michelle I'll look into the Army Service Core as another possibility..... 

As to more data on my grandfather we unfortunately have very little - based on census information we have his birth in 1892 but no birth certificate, and he left the family in 1923 and was never heard from again! I'm hoping if we can trace his service record that might help with his birthdate and next of kin but obviously this is a pretty long shot......

Alan 

Do you have enough information for a 1921 Census search ,  that might assist.

Malcolm 

Thanks for the suggestion of the 1921 Census....using find my past to look at the census led me to a military record of his service from 1914 to 1918 which included his regimental number (228 & 383), a reference to the 48th Brigade Ammo Column RFA,  his own regimental number (21369)and a disablement pension case  number G.N.6.K.2123. 

Thanks again - now to look a little deeper......

13 hours ago, alansteel said:

228 & 383

MIC for 21369, RFA shows also shows that 228383, Labour Corps number

13 hours ago, alansteel said:

disablement pension case  number G.N.6.K.2123. 

As 228383, Labour Corps

Discharged 17.8.18 - Under the 1918 Royal Warrant 8/3 pw from 21-8-18 to 6-1-20 [?] - The 30% degree of disability rate for a pension Class V / Pte - rather looks like it was only a temporary situation as only a single card

M

Edited by Matlock1418
discharge & degree

Alan 

Well done , both the 14th and 48th Brigade Royal Artillery War Dairies are available through the National Archives. If you register you can download them for free.

Malcolm