Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John William Riley

ken Riley

5 hours ago, Tawhiri said:

A quick look at the Silver War Badge rolls on ancestry brings up five individuals named John William Riley, along with a number of variations of John Wm. and John W. From there it would be a matter of eliminating possibilities

4 minutes ago, ken Riley said:

I'm guessing he was invalided out, due to family legend of him being gassed, and having 3 children between 1916-19

I could work on WFA/Fold3 pensions with a list of regimental numbers taken from the SWL lists [which I can't see]

M

The Haslingden Gazette is available via FMP. The edition 12/06/1915 has the Haslingden Roll of Honour. The only John W Riley is Liverpool Regt. This could be the above 29269 of 4 Lonsdale St who has papers or 59040 who does not

On the ROH there is a W J Riley, East Lancs Res Ter. He has papers under 2894 and he was from 7 Height End, Haslingden. 

No reports of any Riley gassed or wounded in the 1915 HG at first glance.

Brian

17854 would put him with the 11th East Lancs. The Accrington Pals.  Here's a photo of 17854 Pte John William Riley. I would say it is not the same man.  I am not convinced it is an East Lancs cap badge.

riley_17854.jpg

Edited by Ron da Valli

All I can say is , as most people find out, I know less now than before. Probably due to too much guess work, going off distant family rumour.

• Admin

Another rabbit hole

As noted above the Haslingden Gazette (free) and the Accrington Observer dated 30 October 1915 has the following paragraph:-

The Haslingden men in the RAMC at Curragh Camp in Ireland have, writes Private John Riley, good beds to sleep in good food and are in pink condition.  On the previous Wednesday they were given a half holiday to attend the Curragh Races.”  Accrington Observer and Times 30 October 1915.
There is a John Wiiliam Riley on the RAMC Medal Rolls regimental number 28468. I can't find any other record of service.

28467 Noble (Huddersfield)has pension papers show enlistment 14. 11. 1914. at Chatham.

28469 David Rothery appears to be from Halifax.  He is next to Riley on the Rolls and therein two numbers are outliers on the page but neither has any records but he and Riley were both awarded the BWM and VM. Curragh military hospital would not have given any entitlement to the ‘war medals’ had he remained there as it was a Home posting.

In 1921 presumably our John William Riley married to Beatrice had one son born in 1916 it’s noted the mother registered the birth but is the father’s occupation shown on the birth certicate?   By then they were living at Gornall Buildings Ravenstall and were in that town in 1939. Have you checked the absent voters list for 1918 if it survives ?

May just be a coincidence or maybe it is a RAMC cap badge (I don't do badges) as suggested earlier.

13 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

There is a John Wiiliam Riley on the RAMC Medal Rolls regimental number 28468.

He's not showing up on WFA/Fold3 pension records - only a MIC for BWM & VM [No sign of a SWB there either]

M