Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching a German soldier

tamiwell

Hello,

I recently purchased a lovely portrait postcard of a German soldier, and I was hoping to be able to identify him from the reverse text.  I was wondering what the best way might be to start researching a German soldier?  I've only had experience researching Australian and British soldiers so far, and a quick check online was a bit confusing, and didn't help much.  I know that he was in Wesel, on the 25th of April 1915, and that he was a Sergeant.  His name might have been E Muller, but the handwriting is difficult.  Can anyone give me any advice about where to start looking for more information?  Or perhaps even what was happening in Wesel around that time?  Thank you so much

Screenshot 2024-02-28 162346.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 184155.png

Edited by tamiwell
adding photos

Your best bet would be to post good scans of both sides of the card. I‘m sure someone will be able to help you if possible. Looking for a Müller is like looking for a Smith :)
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I've added the photographs.  I'm not 100 per cent sure it's Muller, I'm not great with the old style handwriting!

It looks like E. Müller to me as well.
Wesel was a garrison town and in peace time the home garrison of 2 field artillery regiments - FAR 43 & 47 and 2 infantry regiments - IR 56 & 57. No doubt after mobilisation there would have been an influx of units or soldiers from other units temporarily in Wesel. 

As far as I can tell there is no means of identifying his regiment in the photo, although I think I can see the partial outline of either a number or cypher on his shoulder strap (but that could just be my eyes).
Unless either @AOK4 or @GreyC can add anything, I think you have reached the end of the line already.

Its a very nice photo though.

Charlie

Hello,

There's no way anything more can be said about the man indeed.

Jan