Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Just checking

doogal

Hi all

Having been on the forum for some time, I'm sure everyone is more than aware of my interest in the Dukes, but I have been surprised how few people seem to be interested in this regiment - both in terms of histories that have been written over the years, but also actively on forum. I have recently skimmed the surface with the 9th DLI, and there seems to be a very strong and active interest in not only this regiment, but this battalion and many of the others of this regiment. The Durham archives have detailed holdings on the regiment and in a very short space of time, I have accrued some very useful and helpful information.

The Dukes, whilst they have a regimental archive and a couple of spots in Yorkshire where there is the odd person who has landed some "bits and pieces" of interest, somehow don't seem to engender the same enthusiasm, focus or interest.

I would also say however, those I have made contact with who are interested in the Dukes have been very very helpful and generous - its not reluctance, just scarcity.

Now, maybe you're all avoiding me :o

but I just thought I'd flag it up again - Is there anyone out there? :D

regards

doogal

Hi doogal.

Just out of interest. Have you ever visited the church at Skipton?

There are some colours kept there, of which Battalions i don't know.

When i check my files, i think there is something you could help me with regards the Dukes. I'll drop you a PM later if thats ok?

Regards, Chris.

Hi Chris,

Although my father taught there for a while, I haven't been to Skipton. (I'm probably classed as a southerner, having myself never lived or worked north of Wolverhampton)

At some point, I'm hoping to get to the Huddersfield TA centre, as they apparently have a large scrapbook about the 2/5th. Although my Gt Grandfather and family hail from Shipley, it appears that the 2/5th had many men from Huddersfield in it.

Drop me a pm if you have any questions - I'll be glad to help if I can.

regards

doogal

, I haven't been to Skipton. (

What about the Dukes' museum in Halifax? They might have something you require. There's also a decent bn history of the 1/6 D.o.W in "Cravens Part in the Great War".

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I've had a fair bit of contact with the museum, and also the regimental archive. They've both been helpful, and are aware of the research I'm doing (they've been offered a full copy once it's complete), and I'd recommend that anyone interested in starting out their research to drop the regimental archives a line, as they have a good set of war diaries by all accounts.

What I felt was missing through all of the research I've been doing are the people and institutions who have the spread of ephemera and written information that many other regiments seem to have accrued over the years. It could just be me not quite yet getting to grips with it, or maybe its just one of those things that history presents.

regards

doogal

Just to add: 'Cravens Part in the Great War' covers 1/6th and 2/6th DWR from aforesaid area, including Skipton.

re: ephemera, you should check out IWM dept. of documents, several m.s. officer diaries there, some decent photos too for 1/4th especially.

Liddle Collection, Brotherton Library, Leeds, is another decent source.