Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Graham Sydney Cowie (Pte 2nd I.L.H & Lt R.A.F.)

Clive ex RAF plumber

Good Morning All,

I am trying to find out any information I can on the above named soldier / officer where he served etc..  His 1914/15 Star is to Pte. 2nd I.L.H.  which I believe is 2nd Imperial Light Horse does anyone know where they were formed and what theatre of war the unit served the other question relates to his service in I believe the RNAS and then the RAF as an Observer again the main question being which theatre of war did he serve in?  I have trawled through Forces War Records but have not been able to ascertain a great deal of information.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Regards

Clive

Interestingly the only Graham Sydney Cowie I find in Ancestry and Fold3 appears to be naval!

Anything else we could use to narrow down the search?

George

Find My Past has his RAF service record

image.jpeg.e321131f8fec53df03a23edb1fdb1dab.jpeg

image.jpeg.3e335a38b192200b75c1e266f543a866.jpeg

image.jpeg.0cea0b20173a74b69dbd0a36c06c7529.jpeg

George

7 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Good Morning George,

I have Grahams 1914/15 trio, the 1914-15 Star is impressed Pte 2nd ILH , the BWM (2nd Lt RAF) and VM (Lt) I can only assume that in April 1918 he was transferred from the RNAS to the RAF on the amalgamation of the RNAS and RFC. There was I believe an Observer training school in Egypt so I assume he served in the RAF in the Middle East but have been unable to locate his service record so am unable to confirm this. Thanks for the information you supplied. Regards Clive    

11 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Find My Past has his RAF service record

image.jpeg.e321131f8fec53df03a23edb1fdb1dab.jpeg

image.jpeg.3e335a38b192200b75c1e266f543a866.jpeg

image.jpeg.0cea0b20173a74b69dbd0a36c06c7529.jpeg

George

Thank you so much George that is absolutely brilliant, with his British War Medal being impressed RAF does this mean he was in a theatre of war whilst serving in the RAF? As a side note I see you live in Suffolk, the mention of Suffolk brings back many happy memories to me as I lived in Stanton whilst stationed at RAF Honington  (1981-85), what a beautiful county. Thanks once again Clive 

Looking at the names of places he was in between 1917/18/19 he appears to have been in England. Noted that two of those RAF station Aldeburgh and Felixstowe. No mention of overseas service.

More expert members may spot some other detail.

And yes Suffolk is a beautiful county...albeit somewhat damp currently!

George

1 minute ago, George Rayner said:

Looking at the names of places he was in between 1917/18/19 he appears to have been in England. Noted that two of those RAF station Aldeburgh and Felixstowe. No mention of overseas service.

More expert members may spot some other detail.

And yes Suffolk is a beautiful county...albeit somewhat damp currently!

George

Thanks George, we are used to the damp here in Cumbria I hope it's not to bad down there my fond regards to Suffolk and Green King! Clive