Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Diary - AIF

frev

Fred's Diary cont.

16th – Had fair night; very bad with dysentery, so is Edgar.  I can’t eat the food; feeling weak and ill, and could not do fatigues, and no good reporting to the doctor, as he only gives pills.  Very heavy shell fire this afternoon; eight killed and ten wounded in our trenches.  Two of them, poor chaps, were taken out in little pieces which took a lot of finding in the dirt they were mixed up with; nearly all of them were buried.

Cheers, Frev

It makes you wonder why they did not all crack up and go mad. They must have had a very strong sense of survival and belief in something.

I often wonder if todays youth would stand up as well to such horrors. But then again, it was a different time, a different outlook on life, but as I said, I wonder.

Kim

Anyone tell me what 'Barcoo rot' was?

I just bet the Turks had a horror of the Australians! They seem unputdownable in the most trying circumstances.

Well done, Frev, for such a BIG intallment!

Marina

Barcoo Rot was a type of scurvy. Barcoo being a river, west of the Barcoo, the outback.I believe it was because, travellers and people living in the outback had very little in the way of fruit and vegetables, given the land was not fertile enough for these to grow and towns are few and far between. People lived on salted meat and fresh meat was provided in the way of kangaroo, rabbit, etc. Rations of potatoes and flour were the mainstay carried with them.

Also found this reference:

desert sore

Any of a variety of chronic non-specific cutaneous ulcers, most commonly on the shins, knees, hands, and forearms, and probably a variant of ecthyma, that occur in tropical and desert areas.

Synonym: Barcoo rot, veldt sore.

Marina & Kim

Some more from that horrid place - not long though, before Fred escapes the boredom & the carnage for a while:

July 1st – Go on duty at 2p.m.

2nd – Quiet day. Went to beach for water after being relieved. Only doing 24 hours on at a time now; reinforcements make a difference, and a lot of them are arriving lately. Major Lockhart brought me some cigarettes to-day; he was wounded, and has just returned; cigarettes are very acceptable. Very heavy firing at Cape this afternoon, they must be advancing.

3rd – Hear that Turks attacked in vast numbers at Cape on 30th and 1st, and were repulsed with very heavy losses. Lot of firing at Cape last night.

4th – Relieved for three days in supports, hope fatigues are not heavy. Had little rain last night. Have a cold; missed church; had bit of firing at about 8 o’clock.

5th – Fatigues, and quiet night.

6th – Fatigues.

7th – Went to firing line for 6 days; not on duty yet, but go on to-morrow; bit of a flutter about 10a.m.

8th – On observation duty 10a.m.

9th – On duty at No. 6 post.

10th – Relieved for 24 hours. Some of our big shells landed in Johnson’s Gully this afternoon and did a bit of damage. The Lord Nelson came up with six destroyers and did a bit of firing at something inland. We blew up some of the enemy’s saps yesterday and made a bit of a commotion, and a machine gun picked off the poor devils as they ran out – those who could run.

11th – On duty at 10a.m. for 24 hours, a long shift. Had a fire demonstration to-night; things very warm. Another attack at the Cape.

12th – Another fire fight this morning. Very heavy shell fire on our trenches. Edgar had a very narrow escape. A shell came through the loophole where he was observing and took the plate with it and a bit of the water bottle just behind him, where it exploded in the ground and never hurt him. Several of our fellows went down to the hospital hit or suffering from shock from shells bursting. A lot of shells landed on our trench. There must be a lot of casualties in other parts. Just heard that Major Lockhart got hit very badly and is not expected to recover. He was one of the best. A lot of men are going out of the firing line wounded. Heard later that Major Lockhart died.

13th – Relieved at 10a.m. Heavy shell fire this afternoon, and a lot of casualties. One poor fellow had both legs taken off; don’t think he can recover, although he seems cheerful enough. He had just returned from being wounded. Some were blown to pieces. Saw remains of one man being carried down in a parcel.

14th – More shells this afternoon. Our machine gun section got blown out; one killed and several hurt. Went for swim and wrote home.

15th – Went for swim. Quiet day, with few shells after dinner.

16th – Went to firing line this morning. Don’t go on duty again till to-morrow. Fair number of shells this evening – one on quarter-master’s store; hope it does not run us short of provisions.

17th – On duty No. 3 post; quiet day. Heavy firing at Cape. Holy Communion service at Brigadier’s headquarters at 6.30a.m.; missed it, being asleep.

18th – Quiet day. Went to beach for water. After being relieved at 10a.m. saw eight men put out by two shells while I was there. Saw one being carried along beach with face blown off. Went to church in evening; few shells about.

19th – On duty this morning; quiet day. Very heavy firing at Cape. They seem to be having a tough job to take the hill.

The injuries are awful. Wonderful how he just gets on with things like swimming etc. I suppose you did that or cracked up.

Great stuff here, Frev.

Marina

Marina,

I agree.

Quote: Saw remains of one man being carried down in a parcel.

Quote: Quiet day. Went to beach for water. After being relieved at 10a.m. saw eight men put out by two shells while I was there. Saw one being carried along beach with face blown off. Went to church in evening; few shells about.

So ( Seemingly ) casually written. They didn't describe their feelings in these diary entries, did they?

Was it because men are men and don't cry? or was it because they became so used to all this waste of men lives and the violence of it?

It just blows my mind.

Kim

Marina,

I agree.

Quote: 

So ( Seemingly ) casually written. They didn't describe their feelings in these diary entries, did they?

Was it because men are men and don't cry? or was it because they became so used to all this waste of men lives and the violence of it?

It just blows my mind.

Kim

Mine too, Kim - I supoose time available was a big factor - their urge would be to record what happened and perhaps analyse later. And things seemed to happen so fast - no sooner was one incident over, than another happened. And perhaps there were no words for what they saw; perhaps it was not safe to think too much at the time.  Too hellish.

Marina

Well people - this is the final say from Fred:

[July]

20th – Relieved 10a.m.; went to beach for water.

21st – On duty at 10a.m.

22nd – Went into supports for three days at 10a.m.

23rd – Went for swim and water; got wood; fatigues; stand to at midnight.

24th – Had three “stand-to’s” last night; evidently expected an attack somewhere.

25th – Firing line again. Will go to church if possible.

26th – Few shells and bombs, but don’t think much happened.

27th – Relieved for 24 hours; went for water and had a swim. Turks dropping lot of shells to-day. Got some eggs at 2s 6d a dozen.

28th – An attack this morning, enemy losing 200; we had practically no casualties; was not a very big attack. A good many saps have been blown up lately; one went this morning; are mostly enemy saps.

29th – Went for water. Been fortunate enough to buy eggs and flour from sailors, which they bring from Lemnos. They have been the saving of us as far as dysentery goes.

30th – Heard of great victory for our troops near Persian Gulf, and hope its true; gave enemy three cheers from trenches to celebrate occasion, and they fired like mad.

31st – Went to supports for three days. A German “fly” dropped a few bombs on our line this morning; bit of rifle fire last night.

August 1st – Quiet day; went to church and had good service; a big Salvation Army chap gave it, and delivered a good sermon. He’s often been in Inglewood; I’ve seen him there. He’s a big, stout chap; has Church of England hymns.

2nd – Water fatigues; the big gun fire at Cape not so noticeable to-day.

3rd – Firing line again. On No. 1 post, with Edgar acting as corporal. A Taube dropped some bombs about.

4th – Got hit with incendiary bomb on head at midnight just after coming off shift, and burnt my scalp and clothes, but luckily my cap comforter saved me from being very badly burned. I was taken down to the hospital after being dressed, and will be going away in fleet sweeper in the morning. My face is black and charred. Luckily I was not asleep, or I’d have got it in the face and been blinded.

5th – Left on fleet sweeper at midday. Was sorry to leave Edgar (who came down with some of my belongings in the morning) especially as there is to be a big attack in a few days. Three divisions of Tommies are landing before the end of week; [censored] landed last night. We reached Lemnos at 5.30p.m., and harbor is full of all kinds of craft, from warships down to cockle shells.

6th – Left Lemnos at 5.30p.m. for Alexandria; won’t be away long.

7th – Grand to have a bed to sleep in, and no kit to wear all night. My head is doing well. Had beard shaved off to-day. Meals are fairly good.

8th – Had quiet day. Will reach Alexandria to-night. Fancy, I finished this diary on the day I started it, this day last year. Will post it home to-morrow, and start another. It is my birthday, too. Anxious that I should start this diary also on my birthday and finish it for post on my next birthday.

What a birthday present - a trip to Egypt!!

Cheers, Frev

Thanks Frev, for doing all this. You now know what it means to me to be able to read soldiers writings.

Kim

PS I just made Lt. What a thrill. Shall have to take my time for the next promotion, procastination, going, going. :P

PS I just made Lt. What a thrill. Shall have to take my time for the next promotion, procastination, going, going. :P

Kim

I wasn't going to say anything - who am I to call the kettle black!!!

A little snippet I thought you might find interesting:

Inglewood Advertiser, 6/8/1915:

A further batch of letters from soldiers at the front arrived on Wednesday, and were keenly welcomed by relatives and friends. An idea as to the difficulties experienced by the men in attending their correspondence may be gained by the fact that in one instance the inside of a cigarette box was used, the author of this novel writing pad being Private H. Morse, while in another, two cards which bore a message from Private F.H. Symonds were stuck together with jam.

Cheers, Frev

Oh, wow.... where there is a will there is a way. A blank sheet of paper would have been like heaven. They would have probably orn it into four to share. Well, there goes the imagination working overtime again.

Thanks Frev :)

Kim

So glad Fred made it home, Frev. I wonder what he did with the other diary? I know - I'm greedy!

Great posts though - ya done good!

Marina

Evening all

Many thanks Frev for posting this diary, what fascinating reading it makes. It has taken me a long time to read it all but it was certainly worth it.

Regards

Julain

Thanks, Frev - this is cracking.  The Australians were bold, weren't they? Sitting out on the parapet etc  But what a fearful place that must have been.  This is a most vivid account. 

Does anyone know why the troops were fed so poorly?  Was it poor systems of transport or what?  It just seems so awful that on top of everything else, they were hungry.

And did the Turkish officers mutiny?  I don't know much about this area of conflict.  But it wouldn't be surprising considering the hammering they are taking here.

Looking forward to the next installment, Frev!

Marina,

i was just re reading this topic and noticed that i had missed your post.

The whole set up at Anzac was a shabbles from day one. The rations were issued at the designated rate and if you had a good quarter master you may have got a bit more. All troops on the Penisula suffered including the Turks.

The butter was rancid so someone used it as a candle, salty beef and hard biscuits only made the men thirsty and water was scarce that it was often rationed to half a litre a day and sometimes one cup. Once or twice a week bread from Lemnos arrived but usually soggy. Fresh beef was also sent but by the time it reached the men it was flyblown and 'off'. The rations were actually described as bountiful by one officer! It seems that the shelling of the beaches by the Turks meant most supply drops were done at night. I have tried to find an exact answer to your query but probably have not looked in the right place.

For the Turkish Officers someone else may be able to answer that one.

Cheers

Kim

Thanks fpr that! The food situation is appalling - why does that upset me nearly as much as the shelling and shooting? It's just that it seems so basic that themen should have been fed properly. Bad organisation, I suppose.

Someone will know about those Turkish officers!

Marina

If you are interested in reading further then Gallipoli by Les Carlyon is a good place to start. It is very easy to read and gives a very good account with out the flowery details of some others.

Cheers

Kim

• 11 months later...

Frev,

Thanks for the insight to life at Gallipoli. Ive been doing some research into my family history and discoverd 2 brothers( Thomas and George Bambery) who joined the AIF together, sailed out to egypt together and landed at Gallipoli together. George was KIA 26 apr 1915 and Thomas was KIA 27 apr 1915. They were in the Australian and New Zealand Division 15th Battalion / 4th Brigade E company.

It was so surreal reading the diary extracts. Especially of the days that my ancestors died...wondering if the author of the diaries met Tom and George, or saw them fall.....or carried their bodies..

Thankyou for making these memories available to us.

Christian.

Hi Christian

Welcome to the forum.

It's Fred Symonds who we should really thank for these insights into life at Gallipoli - and he too, would probably have replied - "No worries".

A sad loss for the parents of the Bambury brothers - 2 sons lost within 2 days..........

Good luck with your research.

Cheers, Frev