Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is Chugunsi?

Martin A Jones

Keep coming across units being demobilised at CHUGUNSI but cannot find the current name of this location. Tried a Google search but nothing. Any ideas?
Thanks

Thanks.  I assumed that but cannot find a modern equivalent.  Google maps pinpoint a location on the Black Sea.  Following the capitulation of Bulgaria in September many of the BST units landed at Dede Agach and moved up to Makri to put pressure on the Turks.  I can locate these towns but not Chugunsi.

Chugunsi, or Cugunci as it is shown on the left hand border of the accompanying map of Kukus (Kilkis) area from the National Archives is now called Megali Sterna.

According to the order of Battle of Divisions, "During November 1918 the 22nd Division moved to Kavala and then to Stavros where it remained until January 1919 when it began to move to the Sarigol (Kristoni) - Yanesh or Janes (Metalliko) area and on 13 Jan 1918 divisional HQ opened at Chugunsi (Megali Sterna). Demobilisation now began........"

Tony

Chugunsi.JPG.f03a43a0c44c52c3fba583e1c71c9141.JPG

Brilliant, thank you.  Cugunci as a search provides quite a number of references as does Megan Sterna.  I was concentrating my search closer to the Turkish border.  I thought that was the direction of travel for 22nd Division - 11th RWF who I am interested in.  Ideally I would get to the NA to follow up the diaries but not able to do so at the moment - wish they would get on and digitise these but, just like in 1918, there is little interest in the Salonika Picnic!