Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George V (pre-1929 issue) Bronze Medal For Faithful Service in the Special Constabulary

RFT

George V (pre-1929 issue) Bronze Medal, For Faithful Service in the Special Constabulary. 

I'm trying to establish if the above medal, awarded to Richard J Tregonning (or Tregoning). is linked to WW1 Service.

A search on FMP provides little information on this indvidual.  However one Richard J Tregonning is mentioned as the brother-in-law of Police Inspector William Trythall (born Penzance), in the latter's 1941 obituary at St Austell.  Is this a possible link?

According to the 1939 Register (FMP), one Richard J Tregonning is recorded as a 'Boot Shop' manager in Plymouth, but the 1921 Census makes mention of a couple of individuals with this name and hopefully these entries may make reference to "Special Constable."

Currently, I do not have access to the 1921 Census and would ask if any member is able to help in this regard.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Edited by RFT
Correction to topic heading.

• RFT changed the title to George V (pre-1929 issue) Bronze Medal For Faithful Service in the Special Constabulary

A check in the 1921 Census shows:

Richard J Tregoning -- Birth year 1871 -- Residence Cornwall County Lunatic Asylum, Westheath Avenue, Bodmin

Richard John Tregoning -- Birth Year 1899 -- Occupation Plumber, Construction and Repair -- his father, Richard, was a Retail Boot Shop Manager

(image courtesy of Find My Past)

Tregoning_Richard John.jpg

Thank you Allan1892, for taking the time to check this out for me.

Regretfully, not quite the result I was expecting.  I was hoping the term "Special Constable" may have made its appearance.

Despite the entry in the 1921 Census, Richard Tregoning "Boot Shop Manager" is also described as Richard J Tregonning in earlier Census Returns.  He (the latter) is the man I believe to be the individual awarded the Special Constabulary Medal, but nothing definitive!  One other Richard John T, (Labourer) born 1890, will also be found at Camborne, in the 1939 Register.

Incidentally, Richard T born 1871 and Richard T, born about 1881, do not appear to be related.  

Thank you again, your input is much appreciated.

Rob

If you are in possession of the medal and it lacks ‘The Great War 1914-18’ clasp, then it’s probably not war related.

I understand that the qualifying criteria was 9 years service, with minimum of 50 call outs per year.

MB

Thank you MB for replying.  Regretfully, no GW 1914-18 clasp.

Thinks - I've probably gone as far as I can go on this one.

Rob