Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Masson No.103 Coy. Sgt-Mjr., 1/6th Seaforth Highlanders

KayleighK

Hello,

I am looking for information on George Masson, No.103 Coy. Sgt-Mjr., 1/6th Seaforth Highlanders, DOB 9 Dec 1877. He joined up in grantwon-on-spey august 1914 and was killed 29th july 1916 while serving in france and he was burried in Dartmoor Cemetery. He was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal and thats where i'm stuck, i cant find any mention of him in the gazete or anything to do with how he got the medal... i would also love to see a photo of him.

Thanks and Kind regards,

• Admin

Report of his death, no photograph Aberdeen Daily Journal Thursday August 3rd 1916

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 11.37.02.png

Image from BNA on FMP

wow thanks very much for your speedy work!  that pesky double 's', been the bain of our family many a time. But since all the other records i had found it was correct i didn't bother to check - school boy. I had found some newspaper articles indicating that he went to south africa but couldnt be sure it was him and this article confirms it!  I had been looking via findmypast.com but maybe it doesn't have the *aberdeen journal.

I feel so sorry that his name was misspelt, i'm sure my great great grandfather would have been rather unimpressed with the misreporting of his sons name.

Thanks again!

Edited by KayleighK

• Michelle Young changed the title to George Masson No.103 Coy. Sgt-Mjr., 1/6th Seaforth Highlanders

The appears to be only one George Mason or Masson with the Seaforths in the Boer War Medal Rolls. 7042 George Mason who served with a Volunteer Battalion. 

Queens South Africa Medal with 3 clasps Witterbergen, Cape Colony and South Africa 1901

This led me to some service papers available on ancestry fold3 and findmypast. 

7042 Geo Mason enlisted on a short service attestation (1 year) on 17/1/1900 at Elgin. This man indicates he was born at Inverallan, Grantown and says his age is 22. He went to South Africa 22/2/1900 and returned to UK 30/4/1901. He was discharged 31/05/1901. He seems to be the same man as 103. Right age, regiment and home town

This would suggest he is the same man https://www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/232-tribute-medals/g/4205-grantown-on-spey referring to Mason as Mason (Masson)

103 is on the Morayshire Roll of Honour https://digital.nls.uk/rolls-of-honour/archive/100236648?mode=transcription

Edited by Mark1959

2 hours ago, KayleighK said:

that pesky double 's', been the bain of our family many a time.

2 hours ago, KayleighK said:

I feel so sorry that his name was misspelt, i'm sure my great great grandfather would have been rather unimpressed with the misreporting of his sons name.

Welcome to GWF

WFA/Fold 3 have two pension index cards one as George MASON and the other as George MASON MASSON, 703, Seaforth Highlanders - so somebody seems to have eventually got it right at the MoP.

Not sure his father, Erick, will have been overly impressed by his dependant's initial pension award 5/- pw from 27-2-17 to 26-2-18 - not much really for the loss of a son.  His father's claim rather suggests his mother/wife was dead and the claim seems to have continued and became DEAD May 1927 [on or before - suggesting the father as the named/ last claimant had died]

M

CWGC also have the double "S" Company Serjeant Major George Masson | War Casualty Details 39059 | CWGC

Little details are available in the Battalion War Diary for that date. The 'best' clue is on the 26th - "several casualties".

He may have been one of the wounded, then Died of Wounds on the 29th.

I've attached my transcription of that page from the Battalion War Diary.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Seaforths 6th - WD - 1916 07_Page_10.jpg

On 25/02/2024 at 16:00, Matlock1418 said:

Welcome to GWF

WFA/Fold 3 have two pension index cards one as George MASON and the other as George MASON MASSON, 703, Seaforth Highlanders - so somebody seems to have eventually got it right at the MoP.

Not sure his father, Erick, will have been overly impressed by his dependant's initial pension award 5/- pw from 27-2-17 to 26-2-18 - not much really for the loss of a son.  His father's claim rather suggests his mother/wife was dead and the claim seems to have continued and became DEAD May 1927 [on or before - suggesting the father as the named/ last claimant had died]

M

Thanks for looking into him, his father was William Masson but he did die in May 1927. His mother was Jessie Grant and it does appear that she died sometime before (William and Jessie were not married) and i cant find much detail on her.  William's other son Erick (my great grandfather) also served but was lucky enough to come home - but i havent looked into him much yet.

MASSON, Eric. No. 388, Pte., i/6th Seaforths ; born at Grantown-on-Spey, Sept. 19th, 1893 ; joined at Grantown-on-Spey, August, 1914 ; served in France. Son of William and Mary Masson, Park Cottage, Grantown-on-Spey. Occupation, carter.

MASSON, George. No. 103, Coy. Sgt.-Mjr., i/6th Seaforth Highlanders ; born at New Elgin, Parish of Elgin, 9th Dec, 1877 ; joined at Grantown-on-Spey, August, 1914 ; served in France ; killed, 29th July, 1916 ; awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal. Son of William Masson, Grantown-on-Spey, and Jessie Grant or Masson (deceased). Occupation, contractor.

Thank you

23 hours ago, Tom Lang said:

CWGC also have the double "S" Company Serjeant Major George Masson | War Casualty Details 39059 | CWGC

Little details are available in the Battalion War Diary for that date. The 'best' clue is on the 26th - "several casualties".

He may have been one of the wounded, then Died of Wounds on the 29th.

I've attached my transcription of that page from the Battalion War Diary.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Seaforths 6th - WD - 1916 07_Page_10.jpg

yes thats what i also guess and maybe why he is *not mentioned but some others are.  Thanks for your help

Edited by KayleighK

18 minutes ago, KayleighK said:

MASSON, Eric. No. 388, Pte., i/6th Seaforths

MIC coming up as 688 - No pension record found

18 minutes ago, KayleighK said:

MASSON, George. No. 103,

Two pension index cards at WFA/Fold3 as MASSON

Two MIC as MASON [one for DCM]

London Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29608/supplement/5583

M

Edited by Matlock1418
lg link