Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help with bayonet ID

AmandaD

This bayonet has been hanging in my dad's shop since he was a kid and we'd like some information on it if anyone has any. I'm a total newbie - what do the numbers mean? If it doesn't apply to this group, I'd appreciate information on other places to look. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20210526_120225104.jpg

20240224_142341.jpg

20240224_141929.jpg

20240224_141938.jpg

Not sure but that’s a Well Known german maker, looks like an Austrian werndl rifle bayonet, maybe an m1867 - but I am not sure the cross piece is right for that??

Edited by MrEd

This looks like one of the British P1852 / P1855 / P1856/58 or p1860 Bayonets (or perhaps a Lancaster Sword Bayonet) Many of these were produced in Germany - if so, rather outside the timeline for this forum.

To be honest I am not sure if it is possible to tell them apart without blade length/MRD etc

Chris

This appears to be a Danish M1867 Yataghan sword bayonet. It was manufactured by Gebr. Weyersberg in Solingen, Germany. 

The 5 digit numbers are the serial number while the other side of the crossguard with the letter shows the Unit identification.

Unfortunately all outside the scope of this Forum, as I believe the Danes remained Neutral during WW1.

Cheers,  SS 

Same opinion as SS, even the grips are shrunked in time, it should be M1867 Remington Danish bayonet, with 29 Batallion marking. Someone unfortunally sharpened unproffesionally the blade. Someone blued too the blade as it was blank normally.

Edited by AndyBsk

4 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

This appears to be a Danish M1867 Yataghan sword bayonet. It was manufactured by Gebr. Weyersberg in Solingen, Germany. 

The 5 digit numbers are the serial number while the other side of the crossguard with the letter shows the Unit identification.

Unfortunately all outside the scope of this Forum, as I believe the Danes remained Neutral during WW1.

Cheers,  SS 

For my learning, what makes it Danish? Is it that little crown stamp?

• Admin

As this object has now been identified as pre-dating the Great War by decades this topic is locked.

We suggest interested parties use the GWF personal messaging system for any further communication

• GWF TEAM locked this topic