Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what to see in verdun area?

ykf519

i forgot to add to my other post we are also driving through verdun. can someone confirm the top “too see” things regarding world war one in that area? we have maybe 3 hours of time. i think there are abandoned towns etc?

• Admin

You aren’t going to see much in 3 hours! Douaumont Fort  and Cemetery and Fleury devant Douaumont (ruined village) would be my suggestion. 

13 hours ago, ykf519 said:

i forgot to add to my other post we are also driving through verdun. can someone confirm the top “too see” things regarding world war one in that area? we have maybe 3 hours of time. i think there are abandoned towns etc?

Drive through the battlefield, that will take at least an hour without stopping. But you won't see very much. The most interesting parts are in the forests and can only be visited on foot. As for destroyed villages, there are at least 6 on the battlefield. The simplest to go to are Fleury, Douaumont, Vaux. They are all on the road and signposted.

But don't think you will even scratch the surface of seeing what there is.

Good evening,

I've just come back from Verdun.
My wife and I spent 1 week there.
On February 21st at 07:00, we were in the Bois des Caurres (exact date and time of the start of the offensive).
We were in the Bois de Herbebois, where his great-grandfather was at that time with the 164th Infantry Regiment.
We dedicated 1 day per sector and type of site to visit.
I will make you a list of what is worth seeing (address and place to eat and where to sleep if necessary).

michel

16 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

You aren’t going to see much in 3 hours! Douaumont Fort  and Cemetery and Fleury devant Douaumont (ruined village) would be my suggestion. 

thank you. where exactly is the ruined village? when i type that name in on google maps it just circles a large area of forest that is way too large to be a former village area.

If you head north on the D913 towards Douaumont the village is signposted, and there is parking.

Martin

• Admin

I haven’t been there for many years, I don’t even know what there is there even. I visited a couple of destroyed villages in the French Champagne region near Reims  last September. In Nauroy there was a little stone at the site of each house with a map of the then village and information on who had lived there. Plus street signs in the woods. Imagine it would be similar around Verdun. 

7 hours ago, ykf519 said:

thank you. where exactly is the ruined village? when i type that name in on google maps it just circles a large area of forest that is way too large to be a former village area.

They are all signposted from near the Ossuary.

How big is the Verdun area? Check out Montfaucon. 

2 hours ago, healdav said:

They are all signposted from near the Ossuary.

That's quite a long way, and especially impossible for someone with three hours.

11 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

I haven’t been there for many years, I don’t even know what there is there even. I visited a couple of destroyed villages in the French Champagne region near Reims  last September. In Nauroy there was a little stone at the site of each house with a map of the then village and information on who had lived there. Plus street signs in the woods. Imagine it would be similar around Verdun. 

which destroyed villages near reims did you visit? that is actually where we will be for two days before driving through verdun. to be exact, we are staying in epernay.

• Admin

Nauroy and briefly, Moronvilliers. Nauroy in photos. Most of the area is a vast military camp so a lot of the destroyed villages and memorials are inaccessible. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Admin

IMG_1005.jpegMap image ©️ IGN France

• Admin

IMG_1006.jpegIf you have time, a trip to the Main de Massiges is a must. Map image ©️ IGN France. You can see a lot of destroyed villages on this map, but all on military land. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

You can see a lot of destroyed villages on this map, but all on military land. 

Around the Verdun battlefield all the villages are open to the public, so to speak - apart from those I mentioned before, there are at least 5 or 6 others; I forget exactly Across the whole St. Mihiel Salient area, there are at least 6 other villages as well.

3 Hours in or around Verdun. You need more than that. But you can visit Mémorial de Verdun. A museum and a memorial to the Battle of Verdun (memorial-verdun.fr)

From the roof of that museum you can see Ossuarium. In the museum you see a lot of stuff from the start to the end of the Verdun battle. 

Nearby the museum you have a the village Fleury devan Douaumont, very intresting, it is the only village still with a major. 

Hello
Concerning the destroyed villages on Verdun, they all have an honorary Mayor.

Regarding the time of visit, I think it takes 10 to 15 days to do it all.
between the right and left banks of the Meuse.
Personally, in 5 days, I only did:

strong:
Douaumont and Vaux

Villages destroyed:
fleury in front of Douaumont - Louvemont - Ornes - Vaux (there is nothing to see).

site:
Douaumont ossuary - Bois des Caures and Bois de Herbebois (sector of the main attack of 21 February 1916).
Military cemetery where the 8 unknown soldiers who were not selected to be buried under the Arch of Tryomph are located (there are also the graves of a British bomber crew)

museum:
Fleury Memorial - Citadel Guardhouse (building opposite the citadel which has a superb museum with sale of materials and a very good restaurant which you have to book to eat there.

Other than military:
2 antique dealers and the dragée factory (Verdun specialty)

I'll make a post about my walk on Verdun

michel