Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension card interpretation

GB63

I’m trying to understand information on two pension cards for Thomas George Tribe. I can find no other records for him. No medal index card or medal roll. His name was Thomas George Tribe, even though one of the cards says George Tribe. The address corresponds to other research that I’ve done on him. From reading other posts I gather that the SFO is to do with a possible pension, but then the other card quotes another pension number. I’m guessing that the stamp “DEAD” on the top of one card means that the record is dead, because further research has him on the 1921 census, the 1939 register and also a death certificate for 1947. Could someone please give me a bit more information. Thank you.Tribe, Thomas George (328169) - Page 1.pdfTribe, Thomas George (328169) - Page 1.pdfTribe, Thomas George (328169) - Page 1.pdf

Tribe, George (328169) - Page 1.pdf Tribe, Thomas George (328169) - Page 2.pdf

• Admin

You can see from one of his Pension Index Cards (PIC) that he was originally in the Royal Field Artillery (RFA) and it seems the other PIC provides you with his RFA number of 118382 (I can't quite make out the text before the number - what you refer to as being apparently SFO as per the other card).

If he were indeed 118382 RFA, then that would have meant he joined the RFA at No 2 Depot at Preston on 7th or 8th April 1916 having attested earlier, probably in December 1915, under the Derby Scheme.

As you have already ascertained, he evidently did not serve overseas. All you do know is that he was transferred to the Labour Corps (386 Company), allotted the LC number of 328169 and was discharged to the Class Z Army Reserve on 10/04/1919.

What is a little odd and may actual contradict the above, is that his address on one of the PICs is given as West Ham (at least post war) whereas if he were indeed 118382 RFA, then I would have expected him to be resident in the North West or the Midlands in 1915/1916. Do you know if that might be the case?

Regards

Russ

34 minutes ago, GB63 said:

I’m guessing that the stamp “DEAD” on the top of one card means that the record is dead,

Correct - the pension claim is dead, not the man

• Admin

His LC service number of 328169 tells us he would have been transferred to the LC between June 1917 and September 1917 (probably towards the latter end of this date range)

His LC Company number of 386 Company only tells us he was in a Home Service (HS) Labour Company - self consistent with the fact that he appears not to have served overseas.

Russ

28 minutes ago, RussT said:

What is a little odd and may actual contradict the above, is that his address on one of the PICs is given as West Ham (at least post war) whereas if he were indeed 118382 RFA, then I would have expected him to be resident in the North West or the Midlands in 1915/1916. Do you know if that might be the case?

He was at 80 Holbrook Road on the 1911 census and on his son’s birth certificate in 1913. However, I have been trying to establish if he was in the Peterborough area in 1914/15, up to now unsuccessfully. Peterborough is more East Midlands, so I don’t know if there is any significance in that. Also, the writing in red I think looks like EG 23/5/27.

Edited by GB63
Post script

• Admin

Service Records of other men with similar LC service number were also originally RFA, so I'm now more confident that Tribe was also (as per his PICs).

It seems a batch of insufficiently fit men were transferred from the RFA to the LC from the No 4 (TF) Artillery Training School (Reserve Brigade) RFA on 21/07/1917.

Russ

41 minutes ago, RussT said:

Can I ask another question. What is it about the RFA number118382 that indicates he would have been in the North West or Midlands at the time he enlisted?

• Admin
3 minutes ago, GB63 said:

What is it about the RFA number118382 that indicates he would have been in the North West or Midlands at the time he enlisted?

As noted, his RFA number falls within a block of RFA numbers that were allotted to new recruits (Derby Scheme Volunteers and Conscripts) joining the RFA (i.e. being mobilised or called-up) at the No 2 RFA Depot Preston during early April 1916. Those men who were selected to join the RFA in this way were sent to the nearest RFA Depot to where they lived at the time. The catchment area for the Depot at Preston consisted of the Western Region which also included Wales and the Midlands.

The other RFA Depots at the time were at Newcastle-upon-Tyne (No 1), Hilsea (No 3), Woolwich (No 4), Athlone (No 5) and Glasgow (No 6).

If Tribe lived at Peterborough at the time of joining the RFA, then I would not consider it too unusual for him to have initially been sent to Preston.

Russ

Just now, RussT said:

If Tribe lived at Peterborough at the time of joining the RFA, then I would not consider it too unusual for him to have initially been sent to Preston

Thank you again. It’s a big IF. I’ve still got to prove he was in the area. Back to the drawing board.

1 hour ago, GB63 said:

SFO is to do with a possible pension, but then the other card quotes another pension number

Discharged 10.4.19 under the Z Army Reserve claim reference of Z/Lab/56486

The SFO 118382 appears to be an earlier pension reference [and is later struck-through on the other PIC] to be replaced by a MoP one of 11/M/337834

Awarded 5/6 pw from 11.4.19 to 14.10.19 [for a pension Class V soldier / Pte - the 20% degree of disability rate under the 1918 Royal Warrant]

M

3 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Discharged 10.4.19 under the Z Army Reserve claim reference of Z/Lab/56486

The SFO 118382 appears to be an earlier pension reference [and is later struck-through on the other PIC] to be replaced by a MoP one of 11/M/337834

Awarded 5/6 pw from 11.4.19 to 14.10.19 [for a pension Class V soldier / Pte - the 20% degree of disability rate under the 1918 Royal Warrant

Thank you.