Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What to see around Ypres and Somme area?

ykf519

Hello,

we are travelling from Canada in May. we will be in the Ypres area for two days and driving through the Somme area for one day. What are the best things that we should see for world war one wise? Looking for things that may be more off the beaten track rather than just a trip advisor list. For example we have a reservation at the pond farm collection already. we are also going to view tyne cot, red baron crash site in somme, etc. anything else that can be listed so I can check if it is on our list? I tried to find everything i could on google maps but hoping i missed something important. thanks!

• Admin

A forum search will bring up numerous threads asking more or less the same questions. 

I agree with Michelles suggestion above.

Given the Canada connection have you considered Vimy Ridge? Not only the impressive monument but you can visit the tunnels also. When you  turn off the main road you will notice the land to the sides is cordoned off as it was never cleared after the war and although the craters and trench lines have grassed over they are clearly visible (and still full of live ammunition so don’t be tempted to enter these areas). 
Newfoundland Memorial Park (Somme) is a set of trenches that can be walked along though again these are grassed over, they are the trenches that saw the Newfoundlanders decimated on 1/7/16. 
The nightly ceremony at the Menin Gate (Ypres) is well worth a visit, the memorial service has been performed each night since the war (other than during Nazi occupation) and is very moving. 
If you look on Google Earth at the two suggestions above you  will see what I mean about visible craters and trenches. 
Enjoy your visit, there is so much to see you do the right thing in planning your trip in advance. 

Simon

19 minutes ago, mancpal said:

I agree with Michelles suggestion above.

Given the Canada connection have you considered Vimy Ridge? Not only the impressive monument but you can visit the tunnels also. When you  turn off the main road you will notice the land to the sides is cordoned off as it was never cleared after the war and although the craters and trench lines have grassed over they are clearly visible (and still full of live ammunition so don’t be tempted to enter these areas). 
Newfoundland Memorial Park (Somme) is a set of trenches that can be walked along though again these are grassed over, they are the trenches that saw the Newfoundlanders decimated on 1/7/16. 
The nightly ceremony at the Menin Gate (Ypres) is well worth a visit, the memorial service has been performed each night since the war (other than during Nazi occupation) and is very moving. 
If you look on Google Earth at the two suggestions above you  will see what I mean about visible craters and trenches. 
Enjoy your visit, there is so much to see you do the right thing in planning your trip in advance. 

Simon

thank you Simon. I did have those items on my list so I am glad to be on the right track so far

• Admin

There’s also the Hill 70 memorial in Loos en Gohelle, and Hill 70 itself. 

• Admin

The Menin Gate ceremony is currently being held in front of the Gate as there is a two year restoration project on the gate itself.

https://www.cwgc.org/our-work/menin-gate-memorial/

I’ll admit I’m a little envious of your planned trip not having visited the Western Front for a few years. 
You may also have Sanctuary Wood (just outside Ypres)on your list, if not they are a set of trenches preserved and maintained by the landowners. These give a better impression of trench life as they are ‘trench depth’ and are reveted with the corrugated iron sheets familiar to many Tommys/Fritzs’ . Depending on the weather you may get to experience the infamous Flanders mud first hand though this in my case may have more to do with me visiting after a very wet Autumn! 
I’ve just noticed Michelle’s post about the Menin Gate , no doubt still atmospheric but perhaps not the same as standing beneath the arch while the Belgian Fire Brigade play the last post.

Simon

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

There’s also the Hill 70 memorial in Loos en Gohelle, and Hill 70 itself. 

thanks michelle, i didnt have this one. I will research significance and possibly go. looks like a significant monument/site

• Admin

The Écurie memorial is a stone replica of a wartime memorial if memory serves. I thought it was beautifully done when I visited. 
image.jpeg

Good evening,

if you pass by Loos, I will be delighted to show you the battlefields of the 1st Canadian Division (Chalk Pit Wood - Hugo Wood - Hill 70 - Loos Canadian Memorial, - Dud Corner Memorial - St Patrick & Loos British Cemetery).
on Hill 70, there are 2 plaques in memory of 2 Canadian soldiers who received the Victoria Cross, there is a simière plaque on the road to Béthune (not far from the Bollaert football stadium).
you also have the opportunity to climb one of the 2 largest slag heaps in Europe (a superb panoramic view on a clear day from Vimy to Kassel).
You can also access the Louvre Lens Museum (free permanent exhibition).
if you're passing by, I'll be delighted to take you to the sites of Loos en Gohelle.
I'll also be able to show you some Canadian pieces from the area).

I live in Loos

to pleasure.

michel

Ykf519,

I think Michels offer is well worth considering. 
What better guide could you wish for given that you were looking for ‘off the beaten track’ places? 
Not only would you have somebody with a passion for the subject but more importantly local knowledge, I’d consider Michels offer as a huge bonus given the limited time frame you have.

Simon

• Admin

Last summer I visited the St. Julien Canadian Memorial at Vancouver Corner, which has excellent presentational/explanatory material.

The general area also has plenty of other sites to visit.

Regards

Russ

20230627_174216.jpg

20230627_174340.jpg

20230627_174515.jpg

20230627_175856.jpg

There is al;so the "forgotten" Canadian presence on the Somme at the battle of Flers-Courcelette:

DSC05974.JPG