Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Concerning:-CROSS OF SACRIFICE.Vol. 5:

larneman

Concerning:-

CROSS OF SACRIFICE.Vol. 5: The Officers, men and women of the Merchant Navy and Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary 1914Ð1919 sold by Naval and Mil. Press

Can anybody tell me what information this book exactly supplies.

Is it just a list of names, rank , ship name and date of sinking or does it give more information.?

Can you post an example?

I am thinking of buying it to help with my Tower Hill Monument research.

greetings

Liam

Liam, in case you haven't seen it, this is what the N&MP website says about the book:

More than 2,500 merchant ships and auxiliaries were sunk during the war, by far the greatest majority by U boats. This volume contains the names of all who died serving in the merchant marine and in auxiliaries, armed merchant cruisers, hospital ships etc with the date of death. In each case the name of the ship is given and the individual’s function on board, such as master, mate, stewardess, greaser, trimmer, fireman, lascar etc.

If no-one here can help you look at a page, N&MP might be able to send you a sample page if you email them.

Tom

Hello

Typical entry:

Banks, Walter Edward Mate MM StmTrlr DEVONIAN (Grimsby) pdrd 8-9-15 MR 39.

The book is 191 pages of names, plus addendum to Volume IV.

don

N&MP might be able to send you a sample page if you email them.

Thanks Tom,

Had not thought about the above idea.

Will wait and see if anybody on the forum can help.

I need to know if it will add something extra before putting another lovely book on the pile of those that did not.

greetings

Liam

Banks, Walter Edward Mate MM StmTrlr DEVONIAN (Grimsby) pdrd 8-9-15 MR 39.

The book is 191 pages of names, plus addendum to Volume IV.

Thanks Don,

That would be about 75 names to a page.

Would be so kind to explain "pdrd", "MR" , "39" .

Looks like it will go down a few places on my wishlist as a handy book but not needed now.

greetings

Liam

Hello

Pdrd: presumed drowned

MR 39 is the Memorial where his name appears (explained in appendix) MR 39 is Tower Hill, but there are 30 pages of Memorials and cemetaries.

The Banks page has 85 entries.

The advantage over CWG where most information is derived is that frequently there are notations, such as drd (drowned), kld (killed), ded (died), etc, etc.

don

Pdrd:  presumed drowned

MR 39 is the Memorial where his name appears (explained in appendix) MR 39 is Tower Hill, but there are 30 pages of Memorials and cemetaries.

The Banks page has 85 entries.

The advantage over CWG where most information is derived is that frequently there are notations, such as drd (drowned), kld (killed), ded (died), etc, etc.

Thanks Don for the explaination.

If you get the records direct from GWGC, on paper or CD and not via the website then you get notations on how they died, method of destruction, age, nationality and next of kin information, their address.

From the CWGC records:-

BANKS, Mate, WALTER EDWARD, Steam Trawler "Devonian" (Grimsby), Mercantile Marine, Presumed drowned, 8th September 1915, Age 37 , Born at Grimsby, Son of the late Mr and Mrs Banks, husband of Eunice Theodosia Banks (nee Starfield) of 87 New Market St Grimsby,

The only problem with CWGC records is that they are not consistant. No fault of the CWGC as they only filled in the information supplied by the Board of Trade and next of kin but a bit of a problem to researchers like me.

Example another crewman from Steam Trawler "Devonian" (Grimsby)

LAMBERT, Skipper, ARTHUR, "Devonian", Mercantile Marine, Drowned , as a result of a mine explosion, 8th September 1915, Age 44, Born at Skegness, Husband of Clara Lambert of 32 Brereton Avenue Cleethorpes,

This time the ship is just called the "Devonian" and the reason for dying is "drowned" and that the ship was "mined".

To make things interesting another ship called the "Devonian" was sunk in WW1.

S.S. "Devonian" (Liverpool) as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 21st August 1917 and their dead are remembered on Tower Hill as well.

Again thanks,

Liam

The Cross of Sacrifice series is a straight copy of the entries in the CWGC printed registers and therefore contain exactly the same information.

The registers contained a cause of death field which does not appear on the internet site but which, in most cases, is blank. However, for seamen the reverse is usually true in that most have a 'cause of death' where this was at sea.

If you get a printout from CWGC it will contain this info as did the old registers.

MR 39 = Memorial Register 39. This is the now-defunct reference system for the registers - NOTE. Not the reference system for the cemeteries & memorials themselves which had different ref numbers. (eg Tower Hill Memorial register was MR.39 but Tower Hill Memorial was Memorial No. 42)