Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

106742 3AM Frederick William Layton - Serbian Medal of Zeal (Bronze)

Clive ex RAF plumber

Firstly I hope I have posted this query in the right forum I debated whether it should be posted in medals.  I purchased a set of medals to the above airman over twenty years ago, they were the BWM, VM and a Bronze Serbian Medal of Zeal and have researched the airman considerably over the intervening years (service history, London Gazette and Forces War Records) and now have three queries I definitely would appreciate help on:

1.  I have been unable to find mention of the award of the Serbian Medal of Zeal can anyone offer an explanation why?

2. His service record mentions that he passed a 'General Musketry Course' in 1916, his trade was Rigger (Lnr) but does passing this course mean he could have been employed as an Air Gunner?

3.  Under the casualty section it states he was hospitalised with 'Syno Knee', what does that mean? 

Any help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards Clive

Hi Clive,

His records show that he passed the Musketry Course and indeed a Cold Shoeing Course prior to transferring to the Royal Flying Corps so they will probably have no bearing on his final trade. It is unfortunate that his RAF records do not show in what Regiment or Corps he was serving  when he transferred as he was already in France on the date of Transfer. The knee problem was also prior to his transfer but was likely to do with fluid on the knee.  Frederick only served in France with the RFC from 15th to 25th October 1917 so I have no doubt that the award of the Serbian Medal of Zeal was made to his previous Regiment or Corps

Steve

Edited by hmsk212
update

2 hours ago, hmsk212 said:

Hi Clive,

His records show that he passed the Musketry Course and indeed a Cold Shoeing Course prior to transferring to the Royal Flying Corps so they will probably have no bearing on his final trade. It is unfortunate that his RAF records do not show in what Regiment or Corps he was serving  when he transferred as he was already in France on the date of Transfer. The knee problem was also prior to his transfer but was likely to do with fluid on the knee.  Frederick only served in France with the RFC from 15th to 25th October 1917 so I have no doubt that the award of the Serbian Medal of Zeal was made to his previous Regiment or Corps

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the information, I hadn't realised until now that Frederick was a transfer from the Army should have known by his service number.  The question now is with whom did he serve before the Royal Flying Corps?

Thanks again

Clive 

Hi Clive

I have a database of over 80,000 recipients of foreign awards for WW1 up to 1925. Approx 50,000 are gazetted and the rest I have confirmed from other sources, ie Red Cross, St John, service papers etc. I do not claim to have all of the non gazetted awards by any means.

I have checked and do not have Frederick listed. This does not mean he was not awarded the Serb medal as shown above there are thousands of non gazetted and it is a case of being able to find them.

If you do confirm his award could you please let me know so I can add him.

6 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Hi Clive

I have a database of over 80,000 recipients of foreign awards for WW1 up to 1925. Approx 50,000 are gazetted and the rest I have confirmed from other sources, ie Red Cross, St John, service papers etc. I do not claim to have all of the non gazetted awards by any means.

I have checked and do not have Frederick listed. This does not mean he was not awarded the Serb medal as shown above there are thousands of non gazetted and it is a case of being able to find them.

If you do confirm his award could you please let me know so I can add him.

Good Morning Foreign Gong,

Thank you so much for checking your database for me, what a fantastic piece of work you have done there. I will certainly let you know if I manage to get any evidence of the award.  If you get chance could you possibly check your database to see if there is reference to a 1738 /608522 2/5 London Regt / 1/8 London Regt Cpl Gordon Leslie Warren being awarded a French Croix de Guerre.

Many thanks

Clive    

45 minutes ago, Clive ex RAF plumber said:

1738 /608522 2/5 London Regt / 1/8 London Regt Cpl Gordon Leslie Warren

MIC, SWB cards and disability claim PIC have him as 18th London [I suspect a typo somewhere]

PIC also offers an additional number 301073 {unfortunately his numbers and this extra number haven't found me a French CdG in the LG].

M

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

MIC, SWB cards and disability claim PIC have him as 18th London [I suspect a typo somewhere]

PIC also offers an additional number 301073 {unfortunately his numbers and this extra number haven't found me a French CdG in the LG].

M

Good Morning Matlock 418,

Thank you so much, I presume from the information you provided he was wounded during the Great War whilst serving with the London Regiment.  The full story with his group of medals is as follows, I purchased the medals from either Golding, Young and Mawer or an auction house in Ipswich in 2016. When the medals arrived BWM, VM, Italy Star, War Medal and Defence Medal, he had served in the 2nd World War as a Fg. Off (122797) in Balloon Command, there was a medal ribbon bar comprising the BWM, VM and Croix de Guerre I assumed possibly wrongly that the ribbon bar related to his time in the RAF and that he had been awarded the French Croix de Guerre during the Great War.

Thanks once again for your help.

Regards

Clive