Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stokers HMS BELLEROPHON

FROGSMILE

A stoker and a leading stoker (passed for stoker petty officer) HMS BELLEROPHON.  The upper body strength of these men (not to mention fists like hams!) is palpable.

“HMS Bellerophon was the lead ship of her class of three dreadnought battleships built for the Royal Navy in the first decade of the 20th century. She spent her whole career assigned to the Home and Grand Fleets. Aside from participating in the Battle of Jutland in May 1916 and the inconclusive action of 19 August, her service during the First World Wargenerally consisted of routine patrols and training in the North Sea. The ship was deemed obsolete after the war and was used as a training ship before she was placed in reserve.”

“An improvement over the HMS Dreadnought, the Bellerophon had the same armament, but a better armour layout and two fire control masts. One of the shortcoming of the Dreadnought was the position of its fire control mast that was regularly blinded by the smoke from the forward smokestack, the double fire control mast location was supposed to prevent this on the Bellerophon (it worked for the forward one while the second one was regularly blinded by smoke).”

IMG_2691.jpeg

IMG_2716.jpeg

IMG_2717.jpeg

IMG_2718.jpeg

IMG_2719.jpeg

IMG_2721.jpeg

IMG_2722.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

SUPER RPPC @FROGSMILE!

Here is a 'big hands' Chief Stoker, surely seen a lot of shovel action during his career!

stokerCPO 001.JPG

17 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

SUPER RPPC @FROGSMILE!

Here is a 'big hands' Chief Stoker, surely seen a lot of shovel action during his career!

stokerCPO 001.JPG

And more than his share of eel pies and pints of bitter, Bryan! :D
As you say, extraordinary hands. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Couple more Stoker RPPC's I have not shown in past.........

Victorian Stoker PO, wearing Stoker 1st class rate badge. 

SennetStoPO.jpeg.18c6fc341f945e501715f04e3656c7ae.jpeg 

Edited by RNCVR

Leading Stoker with bride....  dont know why came out on its side!

xx....jpg

Edited by RNCVR

9 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Couple more Stoker RPPC's I have not shown in past.........

Victorian Stoker PO, wearing Stoker 1st class rate badge. 

SennetStoPO.jpeg.18c6fc341f945e501715f04e3656c7ae.jpeg 

A superb portrait!  I love those sennet hats.  That was when we had a proper navy with a nation whose aircraft carriers could get out of port, whose army didn’t attempt to recruit female infantry, and whose air force was interested in the mettle of its recruits rather than the colour of their skin. 

Here you go.  Such photos evoke very different times. 

IMG_2724.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

A superb portrait!  I love those sennet hats.  That was when we had a proper navy with a nation whose aircraft carriers could get out of port, whose army didn’t attempt to recruit female infantry and whose air force was interested in the mettle of its recruits rather than the colour of their skin. 

Here you go.  Such photos evoke such different times. 

Yes, the Sennets were of a different era for sure!

Its really pathetic state of affairs is it not?  I have been reading about the RN's 'difficulties' with ships & manning of late....  our current RCN in not a lot better shape!

Thank for upending my photo. I have another about to post that is not going to come rightside up either & I have no idea why as they went in right side up.

This one is likley 1920's period but I love the reverse artwork, that of another time also!

xx.ldgstorev.jpg

IMG_2725.jpeg.5785d470840c548935c3adf225460c37.jpeg

Edited by RNCVR

Just now, RNCVR said:

Thank for upending my photo. I have another about to post that is not going to come rightside up either & I have no idea why as they went in right side up.

If it’s in your photo store sideways on it will load that way.  I saved your photo and it was side on.  I then had to ‘edit’ and turn it three quarters to get right way up and then I could load it.

I have them right side up in my data file but they loaded in sideways or upside down for some inexplicable reason, never had this happen in past. 

Edited by RNCVR

Same again but full 90 degrees thus time.  Another super portrait, thanks for sharing.

IMG_2725.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I tried the edit feature/icon but nothing ther shows me how to rotate the photo.  PM me pls so we dont clutter this up. 

1 minute ago, RNCVR said:

I have them right side up in my data file but they loaded in sideways or upside down for some inexprlicable reason, never had this happen in past. 

Perhaps different loading from my phone rather than a laptop.  I don’t know.