Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commemorative French Medal

samcoins

Hello,

I have in my collation this French great medal that i know nothing about it, can any one help??

2 1/8 inch high, 1 6/8 inch wide, 3/4 inch thick, 53.2 grams

pendant.JPG

pendant a.JPG

pendant b.JPG

Is there anything about it that makes you believe it is a WW1 item? I’m not a medal collector but don’t recall seeing anything similar. I wonder if it may be a civic item, mayoral badge of office type of thing. 
Only guesswork I hasten to add.

Simon

Edited by mancpal

Thanks Simon,

I don't know if it's WW1 item, I forgot to mention that the center medal is a blue color glass. 

Nothing suggests WW1 to me however the unusual depth of the bowl and presence of two distinct species of plant making up the garland (one is laurel = triumph) along with a dark stone and crossed National flags is all suggestive of period mourning jewelry.  I reckon if you popped the top you might well get a surprise.  It likely opens like the back of a well fitted watch.

Thanks so much TullochArd for your time and your knowledge, I will try to open the top and will display the surprise.

Thanks again!!

1 hour ago, samcoins said:

I will try to open the top and will display the surprise.

...... careful now!

I must say I hadn’t considered a watch but I had a passing thought that if it does open then perhaps a locket in memory of a loved one. 
As mentioned above take care of it.

Simon

9 minutes ago, mancpal said:

I must say I hadn’t considered a watch but I had a passing thought that if it does open then perhaps a locket in memory of a loved one. 
As mentioned above take care of it.

I didn't think it was a watch either but thought prising open the top would be similar to removing "the back of a well fitted watch".  A similar locket I've seen contained a tiny photo and a lock of hair. The tricolours suggest to me a military/national connection rather than a simple family/personal connection ......  

Sorry TullochArd, I wasn’t suggesting you thought it was a watch, perhaps my last post was ambiguously worded. 
It was the ‘stud’ on the side which reminded me of a locket type catch. That said I can’t identify a hinge on the opposing side. 
I am familiar with lockets, one in particular that belonged to my grandmother had a photo of my grandfather. Sadly the locket has long since disappeared but I do have the remains of the group photo of 5 prisoners sent home from Gettorf PoW camp with my grandfathers head missing!

Simon

My moneys on a locket then!

Simon

Thanks again Simon, I'll try to very carefully to open the locket and if succeed I'll post the results.

I wait with baited breath! Please be careful though, it would be a shame to cause damage to such an item after so many years. If you aren’t over confident about opening it yourself perhaps a local jeweller or watch repairer may be able to assist. 

Simon

I'll take it to a jeweler it's too delicate and I don't want to take the risk, when I'll have any new information I’ll update the post.

Thanks everyone for your help and you input.

Looking at the shape of the item.  I don’t know if France have got Masonic Lodges . Looking forward to your answer.      Lyn.

Hi Lyn,

I don't know much about this locket, I have it for many years and this is why I posted here. to get some help, I'll try to open it at a jeweler and see if anything inside can help, none of the replays suggested that might be a masonic. the moment I'll find some more information I'll posted.

If it was Masonic surely it would possess  a clear indication of the square and compass associated with that organisation? I know little about the Masons but for a ‘secret society’ there are numerous items available on auction sites where the square and compass is prominent. I can’t see the connection on this occasion . Maybe you or other members can point out what I’m missing.

Simon

Not a French medal, some sort of bijouterie? 

On 24/02/2024 at 23:58, roselyn2 said:

Looking at the shape of the item.  I don’t know if France have got Masonic Lodges . Looking forward to your answer.   Lyn.

....... now there certainly are obvious similarities with the OP and this Masonic item described as "a solid sliver gilt medal (East Lancashire) fully hallmarked being made in Birmingham in 1934 by George Kenning and Sons."  I think you might be right.

East Lancashire.jpg

(edit the OP is a local variation of a Masonic Past Provincial Grand Standard Bearers collar jewel)  

Edited by TullochArd
(edit the OP is a local variation of a Masonic Past Provincial Grand Standard Bearers collar jewel)  

TullochArd,

I think you may have cracked it. As I mentioned earlier I know nothing much about freemasonry either in the UK or other countries. The image you present has so many similarities I feel it would be difficult to provide an argument against your evidence. 

Simon

Hi Lyn,

I don't know much about this locket, I have it for many years and this is why I posted here. to get some help, I'll try to open it at a jeweler and see if anything inside can help, none of the replays suggested that might be a masonic. the moment I'll find some more information I'll posted.

I did not take it to a jeweler yet, so what are the meaning of the two crossed france flags?

Thanks

4 hours ago, samcoins said:

I did not take it to a jeweler yet, so what are the meaning of the two crossed france flags?

Thanks