Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who owns this spoon

battle of loos

Good evening
I would like to know if it is possible to identify the owner(s) of this spoon:

DSC_0156.JPG.6d3e526e0cb29af55370291f5f31005f.JPGDSC_0158.JPG.4f2f2a6e672c08d27faf27c1d9806131.JPG
marking:
3RH

/I\D12

DSC_0157.JPG.f8d2a042db4c06f7ae96f60d6172df85.JPGDSC_0159.JPG.a27a3b47c416c36772230a048ee530d4.JPG

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

michel

Making a blind guess, and assuming that the RH in 3RH refers to the Royal Highlanders, aka the Black Watch, there is an Acting-Sergeant John Clark who served with the 3 Sco H as service number 506, then the Royal Highlanders as service number 315030. Note that I'm assuming that the 3 Sco H on his medal index card is also referring to the Royal Highlanders. He was only entitled to the British War and Victory medals, so first entered a theatre of war after the end of 1915.

Two other possibilities are William Christie, who served with the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Highlanders with service number 637, before transferring to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, but I am inclined to discount him because I am assuming that the 3 in 3RH is significant. There is also a Sergeant Thomas Spence who served with the Royal Highlanders with service number 506, no battalion given, before transferring to the Royal Garrison Artillery. Again, I'm inclined to discount him as well, largely due to the lack of a battalion identification.

That's enough speculation from me, happy to see what others may come up with.

Good evening
the 3 names you mention, I had spotted them on the Medal Cards.
But since English is not my mother tongue, and I don't have all the research psites, I was right there.
Thanking you.
while waiting for a person to be familiar with the archives of the Royal Highlanders.

michel

On 23/02/2024 at 20:50, Tawhiri said:

Making a blind guess, and assuming that the RH in 3RH refers to the Royal Highlanders, aka the Black Watch, there is an Acting-Sergeant John Clark who served with the 3 Sco H as service number 506, then the Royal Highlanders as service number 315030. Note that I'm assuming that the 3 Sco H on his medal index card is also referring to the Royal Highlanders. He was only entitled to the British War and Victory medals, so first entered a theatre of war after the end of 1915.

Two other possibilities are William Christie, who served with the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Highlanders with service number 637, before transferring to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, but I am inclined to discount him because I am assuming that the 3 in 3RH is significant. There is also a Sergeant Thomas Spence who served with the Royal Highlanders with service number 506, no battalion given, before transferring to the Royal Garrison Artillery. Again, I'm inclined to discount him as well, largely due to the lack of a battalion identification.

That's enough speculation from me, happy to see what others may come up with.

I believe you’re on the right track.  3rd Battalion Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) were the Reserve Battalion (a holding and training unit used as the regiment’s administrative base) and soldiers awaiting assignment after transfer in, or after having been sick, or wounded were generally ‘on the books’ (recorded) there.  For a new arrival, perhaps issued with his kit there, then that would be his correct unit at the time to stamp on his spoon.  The combination 3 RH does not fit with any other unit that I can think of.

Edited by FROGSMILE

When I first saw it I thought of Royal Hussars. But as no-one has mentioned them I assume that they didn't exist.

Observing 637 deleted and replaced with 506, could it be the individual was issued with a new number, or does it imply a re-issue of a previously issued and numbered spoon, if you know what I mean...

On 25/02/2024 at 12:15, Jim Strawbridge said:

When I first saw it I thought of Royal Hussars. But as no-one has mentioned them I assume that they didn't exist.

There were many variations Jim, such as King’s Own, Queen’s Own, Queen’s Royal, then add Irish, or Scots, Prince of Wales’s etc. but not at that time, just Royal (there was a 10th Royal - Prince of Wales’s Own). 

On 25/02/2024 at 13:31, Interested said:

Observing 637 deleted and replaced with 506, could it be the individual was issued with a new number, or does it imply a re-issue of a previously issued and numbered spoon, if you know what I mean...

It meant that the spoon was reissued.  The old number struck through.  This was to ensure no waste of items with a long life.

Edited by FROGSMILE