Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info on 103291 James Robert Watson Black Watch/RFC/RAF

force136

Hi Guys

First off, it seems to me that what researchers need concerning the RFC/RAF records of WWI is a

better, all-encompassing, guide to terms/acronyms found in RFC/RAF records. I am constantly 

looking at service records where various abbreviations etc. are used that are not in existing lists. 

I guess no one has done this or am I wrong?  The record-keeping that was done by many is also abysmal.

I have been collecting medals to include every trade/qualification in the RFC and finally was able to pick up

a medal to an Other Ranks Air Gunner. Not as easy as one might think! A very scarce trade for WWI.

However, on accessing the record of 103291 James Robert Watson, there is a big space between his joining

the RFC as an Air Gunner in France on 6 September 1917 to being sent back to a Reserve Depot in England

on 20 February 1918, then to whatever 1 SMA is ??? .  Since I have his record and name in

the Air Force lists, is there any other way to find out what he did in that space of time? In particular, was he

sent to a squadron? OR was there an AIR GUNNER school in France? What is 1 SMA? (School of Military

Aviation???)

Thanks

Ken

GBM_AIR79_930_00229 WATSON.jpg

GBM_AIR79_930_00230 WATSON 2.jpg

Hi,

What you need to do is to obtain a copy of book by Ray Sturtivant and John Hamlin called " RAF Flying Training And Support Units since 1912 "  published by Air-Britain Publications in 2007  ISBN 0-85130-365-X

That should give you some of the details that you require.

Steve

Edited by hmsk212