Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for group photos of some regiments

Breame2

Hi all, I'm looking to obtain group photos of some regiments, as I'm researching my BREAME family history. Can someone point me to finding photos of...

Lincolnshire Regiment, 7th Battalion (formerly Bedfordshire Regiment, between January to June 1918 preferably, though I don't mind late 1917 image)

Labour Corps, 182nd Company, Eastern Command Labour Centre (1919 preferably)

Prince Of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment), 3rd battalion, (between end of 1916 to March 1917)

15th Suffolk Regiment (between 13th June 1916 to 9th September 1918)

Kind Regards

Breame2

Hello Breame2,

I hope I’m not the bearer of bad news. Platoon photographs were not taken as a matter of routine though some regiments (in my experience often pals battalions) did but I think mainly before they embarked for a theatre of war. 
You specify certain dates, if they are the periods when your forebears served with the specific units quoted there isn’t a guarantee that he/they were trained in the UK with that regiment . 
Many men following a period of convalescence either due to  injury or sickness found themselves posted to the regiment who needed replacement men the most urgently. There are countless soldiers mentioned on the forum who had multiple regiments through the course of the war. 
If you are unlucky in your quest for group photos you may find the individuals you seek in newspapers local to their area, this often occurred with awards for gallantry, injuries, death or capture. 
If you care to post as much detail as you know (civilian as much as military) about your subjects I’m pretty sure other forum members will break cover and confirm or disprove what you have already (family lore is notoriously unreliable!). 
I wish you luck with your quest but as I have mentioned the more detail (names, DoB, DoD, addresses, siblings names, trade etc) you can post the more chance you will have of forming an accurate picture.

Simon

Edited by mancpal
Bad grammar