Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bdr and Cpl

stevenbecker

Mates,

Sorry, but I thought I would bring this up, as I've been doing this a long time, and its still got me stumped.

I spent almost 30 years in the Army and never saw this other then the standard Bdr in the Arty, why then are soldiers called by both during WWI?

an example, but one of many men so shown in the Artillery?

JONES    Oliver Richard    1942    Pte    01 LHR    13R to Dtls camp 1-16 to hosp (mumps) 1-16 to 1 LHTR 3-16 tos Gn 3 Sect/5 DAC 4-16 to Dvr 5-16 to A/Bdr (from donaldson) 2-17 Mentioned in Corps Orders - for his actions during a fire of ammo dump caused when shelled around Bapaume 12/13-6-17 to T/Bdr (from harrison) 8-17 to Bdr 11-17 att 13 FAB 8-18 rtn 9-18 T/att 13 FAB 9-18 to T/Cpl (from thew) 10-18 to Cpl 1-19 F&B RTA 1915/16 leave brother Stanley 1 LHR

They must of had a reason for it, but may be you will know 

As I understand it Artiller ranks in the Great War were (and up to about 1920) were thus:

gunner = private

Acting bombadier (upto 1917 then became Lance) = unpaid equivalent of a L/Cpl - 1 stripe

bombadier = 1 stripe (no infantry equivalent, it was an additional rank)

corporal = corporal - 2 stripes (became bombadier after 1920 - effectively raising the bombadier rank to replace corporal and existing bombadier a became Lance-serjeants)

the T/ = temporary 

very quick explanation!

Edited by MrEd

56 minutes ago, Chris_Baker said:

A search will find some long earlier discussions on this subject.

But you may find this useful, too: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/lance-acting-and-temporary-ncos/

Chris,

I noticed a small omission from your attachment (and a spell error while I'm at it), I've made the corrections and highlighted for you -

War Office Instruction 71 of 6 March 1915

This tackled the possibility of a man who had been given a substantive promotion while with a reserve unit, sometimes even on the date he went overseas with a draft, being posted to a unit in the field and superseding an experienced man who was only Acting at the same rank. This was seen as an injustice to the latter.

Dan

Cheers,

That makes sence now, 

Thank you

2 hours ago, Fromelles said:

... Chris,

I noticed ...

Dan ...

Many thanks. Now fixed.

Edited by Chris_Baker

SB,

The precedence of NCOs is -

• Corporal
  • Bombardier / 2nd Corporal
  • Acting Bombardier / Lance Corporal

In 1924 Australia followed the British lead, with the RAA replacing the rank Corporal with Bombardier.

Dan

Edited by Fromelles