Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

signature ID of a 2Lt D???? Grant..[maybe Buffs?] 29th Trench Mortar Bty 1915-16

battiscombe

I am trying to identify a 2Lt D Grant - signature attached.. who appears in war diaries of 29th Trench Howitzer/Mortar battery in late 1915-early 1916 [it became Y/50TMB in 1916]. Probably - but not certainly  an artillery officer.. His signature appears in the war diary a number of times, and his initial D appears certain from other entries.. can anyone suggest an ID/reading?..

There was a 2Lt Denys Grant [in 3/Buffs] which might be a possible reading.. [later an MC] and I have seen a number of Reserve Bn infantry officers  landing up in TMBs in late 1915..,

image from The National Archives' reference WO 95/2820/2.

D Grant NA WO 95:2820:2.png

• Admin

I think Denys is a decent suggestion. 

The War Diary for 19 Jan 1916 29th TMB 50th Div has a clearer signature for 2/Lt Denys Grant.

image.png.590472f4ca6ac984769d8896a0471d38.png

His MC gets a mention here with the possibility of a photo

... either killed or taken prisoners. Later in the day he consolidated a strong point in the captured position. Second Lieut. Denys Grant, East Kent Regt., Special Reserve, for conspicuous gallantry and ability in capturing a hostile strong point In spite of ...

Maidstone Teelgraph Saturday 28 October 1916 

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=denys grant&retrievecountrycounts=false&page=0

Edited by travers61