Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguishing officer from OR in a photograph

tamiwell

Hi,

I have a photograph of a soldier taken side on, which only shows his uniform from one side chest up.  He is wearing a smart looking shirt and tie under the jacket.  The collar - I'm not sure if there's a specific name for this type of collar? - is different to the usual collar a man from OR would wear.  It looks like a double collar, or has a triangular shaped notch in the middle between the top and bottom half of the collar.  Does this mean the soldier was likely to have been an officer?  I know I've got my work cut out for me but I'm hoping to eventually identify him.  He wears a patch that looks as though he was part of the 33rd or 41st Battalions (probably more likely 33rd as a photograph it came with was taken in Melbourne or Sydney and the 41st was a QLD/TAS/SA unit) and his name was George.  If he was an officer it might make my search possible....maybe....

Thank you!

Screenshot 2024-02-22 124216.png

Edited by tamiwell

• Admin

Can you share the photo? 

The shirt and tie are a pretty good indicator that he is an officer.

14 hours ago, tamiwell said:

Hi,

I have a photograph of a soldier taken side on, which only shows his uniform from one side chest up.  He is wearing a smart looking shirt and tie under the jacket.  The collar - I'm not sure if there's a specific name for this type of collar? - is different to the usual collar a man from OR would wear.  It looks like a double collar, or has a triangular shaped notch in the middle between the top and bottom half of the collar.  Does this mean the soldier was likely to have been an officer?  I know I've got my work cut out for me but I'm hoping to eventually identify him.  He wears a patch that looks as though he was part of the 33rd or 41st Battalions (probably more likely 33rd as a photograph it came with was taken in Melbourne or Sydney and the 41st was a QLD/TAS/SA unit) and his name was George.  If he was an officer it might make my search possible....maybe....

Thank you!

Screenshot 2024-02-22 124216.png

tamiwell as Waddell pointed out the shirt collar and tie when combined with an open rever (stepped) collar commonly tells us that your photo shows a commissioned officer.  A soldiers jacket was a different design and with a closed collar although occasionally the top button could be seen unfastened.

IMG_2706.jpeg

IMG_2705.jpeg

IMG_2707.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I would like to highlight that Jackson VC wore an officer type uniform in Australia after invalided... As did Inwood VC

I think in WW2 (2AIF) the RSM would wear an officer type uniform (open collar, tie, etc)

Then again, our man in the original post might be missing his pips (unlikely though).

images-2024-02-23T154440_555.jpeg.5c44d84a3246522e1b52fc40f72d1db5.jpeg

images-2024-02-23T154550_287.jpeg.cc08e03748ce89cb7c1d324172f822ec.jpeg

There are also cases of the other ranks pattern jacket being worn with top button unfastened and a shirt and tie beneath.  Both of these aberrations are exceptions to the norm though and so not reliably representative for @tamiwell in her quest for identification, especially if the photo relates to early in the war.  There’s always the occasional soldier who will do things contrary to regulation when he thinks he can get away with it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks so much everyone!  That's great news.  Hopefully it will make my search for identification a little easier.  Much appreciated!