Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

G Williams, Royal Inniskilling Fusilers

artemis

Hi I hope someone can help

I am trying to find out about my Grandfather who was in the great war, I have he's campaign medal which states a number 1659 and he's name G WILLIAMS the letters I can make out after look like R.INNIS.FUS.

I would be grateful for any information you can find

Regards

Artemis

• Admin

Your photo isn’t showing I’m afraid. 

His full service number was 16599 of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. He entered a theatre of war 2B on the 10th July 1915, i.e. Gallipoli & Aegean Islands. He was awarded the 1914/15 Star Medal; the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

• Michelle Young changed the title to G Williams, Royal Inniskilling Fusilers

His entry in the Medal Rolls shows that he was first with the 5th Battalion then the 1st Battalion and he is recorded as being a Lance Corporal (image courtesy of Ancestry)

Williams_16599.jpg

16594 Pte James Smith, Inniskillings, was discharged with a Silver War Badge in 1918; the records of it show his enlistment as 07/09/1914, and it seems likely that 16599 (so, George Williams) joined up on or shortly after that date.

Cpl George Joseph WILLIAMS, 16599, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers [also/earlier Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry]

Pension index card at WFA/Fold3:

Discharged 11.3.19 awarded disability pension of 6/- pw from 12-3-19 to 9-3-20 [1918 Royal Warrant = 20% degree of disability rate for a pension Class IV soldier / Cpl]

M

to everyone who has replied you have told me more in 5 minutes than I have learned since I was a child ( 61 now ) all the websites I seem to find all want money before they tell you anything, I know he did have another medal which if memory serves me correct was crossed rifles and I believe the colour was brown but I was a very small child and these medals were just slung in a draw.

I do also know he was injured as I do have a photo of him in a wheelchair with a nurse standing behind him in a military hospital but I couldnt tell you where.

Thank you all so very much for your help and for finding so much out

Regards

Artemis

• Admin

@artemis your photos aren’t showing. Just a photo bucket image. 

Hi

Yes I know, I need to find where I stored my photos and re-post them, unfortunately again with photo bucket it was once a free site now unfortunately not

Regards

Artemis

It seems that he must have served in the 6th Battalion of the Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers. which served on Gallipoli, then in Salonika, and finally on the Western Front., all in 10th (Irish) Division.

Once again many thanks for all the replies and help in such a short space of time, I do have another question you may be able to assist me with.

Is it possible to get copies of the 1914/15 Star Medal and the Victory Medal, The Gold Campaign Medal has his details inscribed along the edge of the medal, would it be possible to get copies of the medals complete with his details ?

Again many thanks

Regards

Artemis

2 hours ago, artemis said:

Is it possible to get copies of the 1914/15 Star Medal and the Victory Medal, The Gold Campaign Medal has his details inscribed along the edge of the medal, would it be possible to get copies of the medals complete with his details ?

The answer is "yes" to both your questions.

https://www.worcmedals.com Worcestershire Medal Service is considered a reputable source [other sources are available]

Though you do have to ask yourself if naming the medals is necessary or a good idea

Keen to avoid suggestion of fakes - replacement medals should always have an "R" - also inscribed with the name & military details if you go for them.

If for display-only purposes then un-named medals would usually be fine and cheaper - and more easily sold in the future as more flexible for others [we have to be realistic that medals do/will probably eventually get sold/re-circulated at some time in the future once an interested 'custodian' fades away].

Some people even buy original, but unrelated, medals for display-only purposes - I believe many original singletons are out there at fairly reasonable prices.

M

Many thanks for the information and advice, I think you are right it would be just for display

Regards

Artemis

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Looking at my Grandfathers war record his last deployment was at The Western Front, looking through old stories some of the Royal Inniskillens were sent to Theipval Wood, would anyone know if the 6th battalion was sent there too ?

Kind Regards

Artemis

17 hours ago, artemis said:

my Grandfathers war record his last deployment was at The Western Front, looking through old stories some of the Royal Inniskillens were sent to Theipval Wood, would anyone know if the 6th battalion was sent there too ?

Some war Diaries for you to check:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_srt=3&_q="WO+95"+"Royal+Inniskilling+Fusiliers"+"6+Battalion" - One at Ancestry, another requiring a visit to TNA

and 1918 June - 1919 May currently free to download from TNA [after free registration]

M

Why is there a "Photobucket not available" image with every posting made by the OP? Is this a signature setup that needs changing?

Hello All

Many thanks for the reply the links were really useful and helped a lot, Keith really sorry about the photobucket not available images, all my pictures were downloaded to photobucket and when photobucket went from a free site to a paying site they deleted the photos and I avent worked out yet how to delete the images from my posts.

Again really sorry

Artemis