Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 RWF unknown graves identified

LarsA

The case for three unknown graves from rhe Royal Welsh Fusiliers resting in Cabaret Souchez British Cemetery, KIA on 8/5/1916 has been rewiewed.

The case is approved, so the hitherto unknown graves will be rededicated and show the names of 2Lt Noel Osborne Jones, 2nd Lt Herbert Taggart and Pte Lionel Grove.

ATB,

Lars

Thanks Lars,

Very good news as far as the commemoration of these Fusiliers is concerned.

Clive

Thank you for the update Lars.  Excellent news.  Do we know which battalion they were with?

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 21/02/2024 at 22:52, LarsA said:

15th.

Thank you, I imagine that there will be a regimental ceremony in due course, but I’m not sure what the protocol is for a headstone re-identification.

Yes, the MOD will plan one for the beginning of July. I expect some kind of military presence, RHQ is informed. MOD is trying to get in touch with NOK.

ATB,

Lars

3 minutes ago, LarsA said:

Yes, the MOD will plan one for the beginning of July. I expect some kind of military presence, RHQ is informed. MOD is trying to get in touch with NOK.

ATB,

Lars

That’s good news, I hope they will be successful in attracting some family attendance and that suitable photographs will be taken.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Always good to hear of a successful investigations, applications and subsequent commemorations :poppy:

M