Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1994 Correspondence in WO363

TEW

Found the attached quite by chance and thought it pretty unusual. I've redacted the personal details of the enquirer as it must surely infringe the 100 year rule.

You wouldn't have to be a genius to find the original on Ancestry.

TEW

137767-00567.jpg.dd2d70644d53a766bad7b5990fb2c687.jpg

I've come across one of these before. Rather than copies of service records, they would type out the statement of service of a soldier, and send it to the requestor. This seems to have been in operation from the 1960s well into the 1990s.

I had seen a few from the 50s & 60s but nothing before from the 90s.

Quite often the 50s & 60s enquiries initiate the date annotations on medal cards. Nothing for this one though.

Not sure I know where this man's file was held in 1994, Hayes or Droitwich?

TEW

The application form, typed out, as opposed to an item of stationery ordered from a printers, is on file for the soldier that I was thinking of

Request for Service deatils of an ex-serviceman/woman

Search document - CS9RM)2B/1 Army Search

Please complete this form as fully and accurately as possible, and return it to:

Ministry of Defence
CS(RM)2B/1
Bourne Avenue
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1RP

The request form is marked with a stamp from Hayes dated 16 February 1996. Later that year, these records would be photographed, the project continuing until 2003 (I believe), with these photographed burnt records being made available in November 2003.

I have come across a similar typed letter from Hayes, albeit dated 1990, relating to a Gunner from WW2. As I do not own its copyright, nor does it relate to WW2, it was interesting to see, but is not canon with the theme of this thread.

I am guessing that as of 2003

• The burnt records were stored securely in a salt mine, once the photographing project had completed
  • The post-1920 army service records were transferred to the warehouse at Swadlincote, there being an outsourced records management service provided by Restore (known prior to 2018 as TNT). Administration of army records was undertaken from Kentigern House, Glasgow.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2003-03-14/debates/933d7f50-b9cd-46f6-9879-a1621a37e3e6/HayesPppProject